How not to lose English

Monika   Saturday, June 28, 2003, 08:00 GMT
chantal
I've been using "Welcome" by Express Publishing - I think it's quite a new publishing house. The books have some weak points - for instance they lack culture corners - at least the first two parts. Maybe I will change the book in the future ( I like "Oxford" and "Longman" books ) but not now, as I've been the teacher only for 2 years and the books have been used by the school only for 3 years so I probably should wait a while to let my pupils get bored with them.
chantal   Saturday, June 28, 2003, 10:09 GMT
Monika
I've never heard about "Welcome" by Express Publishing.
Is English(along with other foreign languages) a compulsary subject in Primary schools in Poland ? At what age, do pupils start learning English ? Is English in first position ? I heard Russian and German are very popular too. Where do you put them comparing to English ?
In France, Foreign languages are compulsary subjects. Students begin to learn them from grade four and five. The aim is to reduce the age (of beginning) little by little and to start learning them from grade one in the long term. English is in first position followed by German, Spanish,....etc.
Monika   Saturday, June 28, 2003, 11:04 GMT
chantal
English is the most popular language thought in Poland. However, it is not a compulsory language. In my school children are to choose whether they want to learn English or German. But they have to learn a foreign language. In Poland, there are more and more schools where children start learning foreign languages from grade one ( at the age of 7 ). However, in my school it is from grade four. As I said before, English is a very popular language in Poland and I have noticed that parents send their kids to English courses when they are quite small. I think that's very good althoug not every parent can afford to it. But I think that English will be compulsory from grade one - that's inevitable.
In gymnasiums ( 13,14,15 year old pupils ) and secondary schools, pupils choose two foreign languages to learn. English is not to be the first language, although it mostly is. To sum up, English is the most popular language thought at schools, next German, French, and Russian, sometimes Italian or Spanish.
As for Russian, now we can observe its revival. Students learn Russian not because they have to but because they want to. When I was at primary school I was obliged to learn Russian.
chantal   Monday, June 30, 2003, 19:36 GMT
Monika
In France, the school (primary) chooses the language for pupils not the pupils themselves. I reckon that it's hard to make any choice of this kind when one is 8 or 9.
matt   Saturday, July 05, 2003, 22:09 GMT
Monika
How many hours do you teach weekly ? how long does a lesson last ? Do you teach in one school or in several schools ? Are you the head teacher of your class or do you intervene only for English classes ?
shana   Saturday, July 05, 2003, 22:12 GMT
Monika
How long have the foreign languages been taught in primary schools ? and how many lessons a week each class has ?
Heaven   Sunday, July 06, 2003, 05:35 GMT
Monika, are you still there ?
Do you need peculiar studying in order to teach English in primary schools in Poland ?
xerxes   Sunday, July 06, 2003, 05:39 GMT
I heard that the level of English taught in Poland is good. Is it true ?
soll   Sunday, July 06, 2003, 05:48 GMT
Polish learn german, Russian and other languages very well. They soon pick up German when they come to Germany. It seems they have a gift for languages.
What do you think about that ?
Chana   Sunday, July 06, 2003, 09:13 GMT
I heard in Italy children start English and other foreign languages from the age of 6. Is it true ?
When do they begin in France, Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Portugal, Belgium, Great Britain ....and other European Countries ?
Please do answer. I'm a teacher and I would like to know. Many thanks.
zambi   Sunday, July 06, 2003, 09:19 GMT
Do the kids learn more French in Great Britain schools ?
Rock   Sunday, July 06, 2003, 09:20 GMT
I heard that in Great britain the second language taught at school is not French. So, it's what ? Spanish ? German ?
Kabam   Sunday, July 06, 2003, 09:50 GMT
To Soll.
I do not believe in gift. In my opinion, anyone can learn a language and reach a good level if this person is really willing to do so.
What I believe in is hard, steady work mixed with passion for the language.
But of course, I'm not calling into question your belief in gift. That is solely my opinion.
mike   Sunday, July 06, 2003, 15:16 GMT
To Kabam:

People get gifts for a variety of things. They can be also gifted linguistically. I think those who have a good command of 15 languages cannot be put into the category of hard workers. They have a huge gift. No doubt about that.
Monika   Sunday, July 06, 2003, 17:16 GMT
to matt, shana, Heaven

In Poland, teachers work for about 18 hours a week. They can of course work in different schools - if they only are strong enough ( believe me, being a teacher is not easy at all - in reality you work much more than for 18 hours a week and if you work with children which are full of life and which have so many strange ideas in their heads, and in addition if you are a head teacher of your class - I haven't been so far - you are often exhausted ).
At primary schools (not private ones) pupils have 3 English lessons a week, at secondary schools the number of English depends on whether English language is the first one or not. If you want to be a teacher of English in Poland you have to finish a college of English with a pedagogical training or you can teach English after finishing English studies at a university. Here you also should get a pedagogical training.