"Policy of using sth"

Tom   Saturday, August 02, 2003, 23:52 GMT
Hello,

My friend Bartosz has just launched a website for an encryption algorithm he invented at http://www.vmpcfunction.com.

One of the sections of the site is titled "Policy of using VMPC" (VMPC is the name of the algorithm). It describes the terms on which the algorithm is made available to companies.

The phrase "Policy of using VMPC" doesn't sound right to me. Would any of you natives care to voice your expert opinion? Thanks.
Tom   Monday, August 04, 2003, 09:40 GMT
Simon? Jim? Clark? Anyone?
Simon   Monday, August 04, 2003, 09:53 GMT
The English on that site is confusing. Perhaps the heading could have simply been:

- Using VMPC
- Making use of VMPC
- Conditions of VMPC use

etc.
To Tom   Monday, August 04, 2003, 10:31 GMT
What is VMPC?
Clark   Monday, August 04, 2003, 10:37 GMT
Tom, at first I thought you were talking about computer stuff; I did not read your post carefully enough.

However, it sounds right to me. "This is the policy of using VMPC; one must..."
Tom   Monday, August 04, 2003, 11:07 GMT
Thanks for your answers, Simon and Clark.

Which of these do you feel sounds best?

policy of using VMPC
policy for using VMPC
policy of using the VMPC
policy for using the VMPC
To Tom   Monday, August 04, 2003, 15:02 GMT
As those sentences stand, the first two sound fine. If you were reading it out loud and saying the words that VMPC stands for, you would probably use 'the'.
Clark   Monday, August 04, 2003, 18:24 GMT
They all sound correct. However, the third one immediately struck me as the worst one. The first two sound the best as theperson above me wrote.

I think maybe English-speakers try, or tend. to make things like this as short as possible.
Lana   Monday, August 04, 2003, 18:32 GMT
I think it depends on whether it is a set of instructions or tf it is an official policy with rules, permissions, etc.

If instructions, I would use a simple heading such as 'Using VMPC' or 'How to Use VMPC.'

If an official policy, I would say 'VMPC Usage Policy.'
mjd   Monday, August 04, 2003, 20:02 GMT
I agree with Simon that the English on the site is confusing and doesn't flow well. "Using VMPC" or "Conditions of VMPC use" would probably make the most sense.
Tom   Monday, August 04, 2003, 21:08 GMT
mjd, Simon:

If possible, would you care to quote one or two parts that "don't flow well" or are confusing?

I had that impression when reading the site, too, and I'd like to find out you object to the same places as I.
Tom   Monday, August 04, 2003, 21:17 GMT
Regarding the "policy of/for" issue, I find it interesting that you have all said "policy OF using VMPC" is as good as "policy FOR using VMPC".

Really, don't you think "for" would be more appropriate?

I mean, "policy of" makes it sound like some company has a "policy of using VMPC", meaning it is their policy to use VMPC. As in "the school's policy of checking the IDs of all persons entering the school building".

"Policy FOR using VMPC" makes the meaning unequivocal: The policy is FOR (applies to) VMPC usage.

Hands up if you agree.
Clark   Monday, August 04, 2003, 21:41 GMT
Tom, I am just curious, but I was wondering how much you use English per day, week, month, year?

Do you think that you are at a disadvantage in Poland because you are not around English-speakers?
Tom   Monday, August 04, 2003, 22:10 GMT
I spend a lot of time reading stuff on the Web in English. Most of my e-mail is also written in English. I occasionally post to forums.

I'm a translator, so I get to read boring corporate mumbo-jumbo and translate it into Polish or English (I should probably say I "leverage my key competencies and quality leadership to implement value-added linguistic recontextualization services and enable cross-language synergies for leading-edge clicks-and-mortar enterprises").

I certainly would love to interact with natives more, especially that such a large part of me is immersed in the English language and English/American culture. I sometimes feel a little out of place in Poland, culture-wise.

Right now I only listen to English very rarely (excluding listening to English-language music). I practically never speak English.
Clark   Monday, August 04, 2003, 22:22 GMT
Sounds good.

Does translating make good money? Can Americans get jobs in Europe translating? Or do Europeans prefer Europeans over outsiders?