US should have ZERO unemployment rate!!

wingyellow   Wednesday, August 27, 2003, 02:51 GMT
We have quite a lot of space (1100 km sq for 7m people, 157 m sq for everyone). It is just that we have too many hills.
Ryan   Wednesday, August 27, 2003, 03:18 GMT
It is racism that made many white Americans move out of the city and into the suburbs. White people purposefully zoned big, expensive lots so poor Blacks and Hispanics could not afford to move next door to them. Living in a big lot in the suburbs has nothing to do with the "American Dream." The sooner this myth is dispelled about the causes of suburban sprawl the better. You're starting to see the same thing now in the UK as people move out into the suburbs in places like Birmingham as South Asian people move into the city.

Ryan
Julian   Wednesday, August 27, 2003, 04:28 GMT
Though I don't disagree that racism plays a big part in the exodus into the suburbs, there are many young families of all races moving further out past the surburbs so that they can own big homes on big lots for considerably less than what they would've paid in the city.

Around Los Angeles, there are acres upon acres of residential development popping up all over the desert. Many whites, Latinos, Asians, and African Americans are moving to these communites even though it's an arduous 2 to 4 hours drive from their work (in LA traffic, no less!). During the winter, when there are sandstorms, windstorms, hailstorms, snowstorms, etc, they will brave the drive through the mountain canyons just to get to and from work. Ask them why they would do such thing, and they'll to you that a) they wanted a big home with a big yard, b) they wanted a safe community away from the city to raise their children, and c) it's too expensive and too crowded living in the city.
Julian   Wednesday, August 27, 2003, 04:30 GMT
I meant to say "and they'll TELL you that a)..."
Tom   Wednesday, August 27, 2003, 19:13 GMT
Wingyellow,

Here's what I've managed to find out about the HK Government program:

1. You don't have to be a native speaker. It's enough to have "native speaker skills".

2. Recruitment for 2003 ended in January and there's no word of a new edition of the program.

3. NETs are required to work during school hours, after school hours and sometimes on weekends to perform duties within or outside schools.

4. The number of students per class varies between 40 and 45. (And I thought classes in Poland were too large.)

5. Applicants need:

- A bachelor's degree in English Language or Linguistics or English Literature or English Studies or a Modern Language. People with degrees in other subjects may be considered. (I don't have an English degree.)

- A Post-graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) or equivalent OR a Teaching of English as a Foreign Language or a Second Language (TEFL/TESL) qualification at least at diploma level. (I don't have a teaching diploma.)

- At least 1 year's post-graduate experience of teaching English (preferably as a second or foreign language) at secondary school level or above. (I don't have this experience.)

6. The salary is not $5000 for everyone, but rather between $2,197 and $5,972, depending on your qualifications and experience. It looks like you need to be pretty qualified and experienced to actually make $5,000.

7. You also get $1,670 per month for accommodation and medical insurance.

For more information:
http://www.emb.gov.hk/eng/highlights.asp?sid=16&cid=71
wingyellow   Thursday, August 28, 2003, 00:23 GMT
you should get what you don't have.
you can open a tutorial center in Asia too.
...   Thursday, August 28, 2003, 00:27 GMT
Oh, Wingyellow's so pressing! Really, Tom, choose your own path.
wingyellow   Thursday, August 28, 2003, 02:31 GMT
I am not pressing. When I hear his accent and his skin color, I know he has the potential. If he manages to master an Asian language (in this case, he must keep the foreign accent), then he can be as rich as he could imagine.

I strongly suggest coming to Asia to get an idea first.