US should have ZERO unemployment rate!!

wingyellow   Sunday, August 24, 2003, 04:59 GMT
White people can come to Asia to teach English.
Zeb   Sunday, August 24, 2003, 20:15 GMT
That's what I'm going to do.
Ryan   Sunday, August 24, 2003, 23:51 GMT
The problem is that we all don't want to move to another country and we don't want to let you all in either. Teaching is also very difficult work and does not pay the greatest money either.

Ryan
wingyellow   Sunday, August 24, 2003, 23:55 GMT
US$5000 is not a lot for a teaching post?

Some Aussie, East Africa (not South) come here to earn this salary.
Ryan   Monday, August 25, 2003, 05:03 GMT
US $5000 is not very much money for a year at all. It is way below poverty level.

Ryan
wingyellow   Monday, August 25, 2003, 05:12 GMT
US$5000-6000 a MONTH!!! Plus a decent apartment, return tickets for family and medical welfare.

We are not as poor as you think.
wingyellow   Monday, August 25, 2003, 06:42 GMT
You miss your chance. Someone will take it.

That's why most of the native English teachers in Hong Kong are either Aussie or African. If US$5000 a month is not a reasonable salary, then go find a reasonable one.

A British guy from England opens a tutorial center here in HK. He charges each student about US$200 for eight lessons (2 months). And he has about 200 student. Yes, he earns US$20000 a month. Is he good? Tom speaks better than him! (It is true. His name is Alan something.)

I say you have the chance, the potential and most important the white face. Why not give it a shot?
Tae Ryan   Monday, August 25, 2003, 23:04 GMT
How hilarious, Ryan! US$5000 a year in such a developed city as Hong Kong! It's income per month, my auld laddie. That makes US$60K a year.

Que vous êtes naïve, mon vieux garçon!
Ryan   Tuesday, August 26, 2003, 04:23 GMT
Gee, if money was the only thing I cared about I'd probably be on a plane over there now. I'm too concerned about improving my own country to be worried about other people's countries, though.

Ryan
Henry   Tuesday, August 26, 2003, 07:27 GMT
And what exactly is it that you do to improve the U.S? Just curious.
wingyellow   Tuesday, August 26, 2003, 07:40 GMT
What can improve your country better than raking in money for it from foreigners?
scottish   Tuesday, August 26, 2003, 14:09 GMT
aaaw shut the hell up
Ryan   Tuesday, August 26, 2003, 17:36 GMT
I study urban planning (or town planning, in the UK). It's what I consider one of the biggest problems in the US--all the suburban sprawl, that is. How many cities in the US are actually worth visiting? I can't think of too many.

Ryan
To Ryan   Wednesday, August 27, 2003, 00:18 GMT
Build decent high-rise apartment blocks like those in newer districts in Asia- apartments that at least have 15+ storeys, air conditioner, washing machines, and security.

Gee! It looks like Americans either live in large mansions on leafy suburban streets or in dilapidated old apartments (should I say tenements?) that have high crime rates and become miserable ovens in the summer.

Many new apartment blocks in Hong Kong have 10-30 storeys, security guards, marble-floored lobbies, hidden cameras in the lifts, metal gates outside each door, split air-conditioner system in each unit, hardwood floors, space for washing machine and dryer, etc.

This is effective use of space that is still comfortable and safe. Why are most American apartment blocks so rotten? I know there are high-class apartments in America that cost a fortune but there are so few of them and they are all low-rise.
Julian   Wednesday, August 27, 2003, 02:06 GMT
What are you talking about? There are all kinds of homes all across the US, not just large mansions or dilapidated old apartments. You'll find many high-rise apartments in the big cities. In LA, if you drive down Wilshire, or Westwood, or Century Park East, you'll find blocks and blocks of sparkling new high-rises. NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Dallas, Austin, Miami, Seattle, etc. also have areas zoned for high-rise apartments. The problems is, there's not much of a demand for high-rises because most Americans would prefer to live in single family dwellings with a big yard for their kids and pets to play in, and enough space to house their several SUVs -- that's part of the American dream.

In Hong Kong, because there's a considerable lack of space, developers have no choice but to build up.