South Dublin Accent = Australian accent in the US

Ryan   Tuesday, September 09, 2003, 21:35 GMT
What can you say, Hythloday? We make too many of our own television shows and movies that we don't need British ones, while you guys keep importing ours so you know exactly the difference between a Texas accent and an Alabama one. If you would like to subsidize the cost of Americans to come and visit your country and learn about the accents, myself and most Americans would undoubtedly be happy recipients of such aid.

I suppose most Americans are ignorant about Britain and Australia, but linguistic education isn't a part of most schools' curriculums. Learning Spanish to talk to our own country's residents is probably more important than learning the differences between Birmingham and London.

Ryan
ozinus   Saturday, September 13, 2003, 17:59 GMT
i'm an aussie in the US and the majority of people ask if i'm english or canadian??? I'm in a shitty little country town and when i hear an aussie or kiwi accent i know its aussie or kiwi - the bad thing is they remind me of the crocodile hunter and i cringe! when i was in ireland though i thought the irish accent sounded quite american... i guess you start to get confused when you move round a bit...
wassabi   Sunday, September 14, 2003, 05:29 GMT
sumtimes i'll ask people if they're australian but they'll actually be from south africa. accents can sound so similar because they've been influenced by one another. personally when i go on vacation, people will think im from the states but im actually canadian (you have to admit there's not much difference except in the word 'route') I find it kind of fun too, with everyone having different accents, and your trying to guess where everyones from
Bob   Sunday, September 14, 2003, 06:09 GMT
how do you say route?? I say "rowt" or "root" depending on my mood.

PEACE, FO SHIZZLE
Ryan   Sunday, September 14, 2003, 06:31 GMT
Wassabi, there are several differences between American and Canadian accents. Of course, it depends on which American and which Canadian accent we are talking about. I don't think there's a person from the Detroit area that can't tell the difference between a Michigan accent and a Southern Ontario accent, though. You guys have a feature called Canadian shifting where your "e" sounds like "ae," your "ae" sounds like "o" and your "o" sounds like "aw" to us. I used to hear it all the time when watching hockey on CBC.

Your "oh" sound is pretty strong as well, especially in the prairie provinces.

Ryan
uinseann o'foirtchearn.   Friday, September 19, 2003, 20:15 GMT
the south dublin accent is refined,as to say most inhabitants in england have a common,rough tounge in their head,or as you would say very uneducated.as i have found.then you have the other side of the coin where the snobs or wanna-bees act like royalty....you cant win!!!
Peter   Friday, September 19, 2003, 22:29 GMT
Where are you from yourself uinseann(??)?
wassabi`   Saturday, September 20, 2003, 02:22 GMT
i always thought so, i mean everyplace probably has more than one accent. that includes where im from, Canada. The Newfies talk totally different from the rest of Canada and the terretories have a totally differerent language all together!
mancunian adam   Saturday, September 20, 2003, 17:50 GMT
i ave 2 say that i thought the cockney accent sounded a bit australian but americans really r ignorant wen it comes 2 things like this, they assume every1 in britain speaks posh wot u r callin Rp n i get offended by this i like my mancunian accent(manchester 2 ignorant americans) and like being working class, if u ave a posh accent u r upper class and i dont like being a snob, n its not like thyere is much upper class ppl in england outside the royal family
mjd   Saturday, September 20, 2003, 22:19 GMT
Adam,

We realize you like your Mancunian accent. However, you might want to pay more attention to your spelling and grammar. It seems like you have some run-ons there...not to mention your "internet lingo."
wassabi   Saturday, September 20, 2003, 23:05 GMT
i cant understand the cockney accent. its really fast
Ryan   Saturday, September 20, 2003, 23:48 GMT
Maybe you should come over here and teach Americans about different British accents instead of sitting there drinking tea on the other side of the pond and calling us ignorant.

Ryan
wassab   Sunday, September 21, 2003, 05:29 GMT
i understand that we have a different accent, but i live close to the boarder so its unbelievable how much ifluence we get from you guys.
Andrew J.   Wednesday, October 01, 2003, 05:50 GMT
I once heard an interview between the American author Bill Bryson and an Australian reporter. He almost sounded like he was from Northern England; I thought I heard him say "oop" for "up" a few times. From my experience, a lot of Irishmen do that too. Has anyone noticed that from other Aussies?
Jack Doolan   Friday, October 03, 2003, 04:38 GMT
Ee bai gom 'e's champion

Didn't American Bill Bryson live in northern England for a while?