German or Italian???

wassabi   Saturday, September 20, 2003, 03:36 GMT
ok, all cultures have bad people in them, yes including china wingyellow, not everyone would shed their blood, trust me i know. there's even bad people in norway. while dissing other places, you're just becoming one of the bad people from your region, hint hint to you wingyellow. just mellow out and accept that there are crazy people all over this world, otherwise think what would be on the news="today molly turned 4!" itsnot that i want bad people but thats the way this place is.
loochy   Saturday, September 20, 2003, 03:39 GMT
so wut does his name mean?
Wingyellow   Saturday, September 20, 2003, 04:48 GMT
Wassabi, please write proper English.
Tremmert   Saturday, September 20, 2003, 13:27 GMT
'swart' is also black in Afrikaans. His name was a transliteration of 'black basher'.
Clark   Saturday, September 20, 2003, 21:38 GMT
Yeah, I know. "Verletzer" is the same as "bescher."

I read once that almost 40% of the Afrikaners are German or part German, hence a lot of German vocabulary in the Afrikaans language.
wassabi   Saturday, September 20, 2003, 23:06 GMT
wingyellow, please loosen up
J   Saturday, September 20, 2003, 23:09 GMT
Wingyellow can't be losened up because he is stubborn. He will try to say he is not stubborn, but we all know he is very much.
wassabi   Sunday, September 21, 2003, 05:14 GMT
is IT a he?
Tremmert   Sunday, September 21, 2003, 14:02 GMT
Not only that but Dutch and German are pretty similar to start off with aren't they? And Afrikaans is SA Dutch ;)
Clark   Monday, September 22, 2003, 00:33 GMT
Yeah, German and Dutch are similar, but I asked a German friend of mine if she could understand any Dutch and she said no.

But the Northern German dialects are very similar to Dutch.
Clark   Monday, September 22, 2003, 01:07 GMT
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I have heard one person tell me that he was in South Africa, and he had a friend from the Netherlands who told him (my friend) that the Afrikaans language is "child's Dutch." Dutch and Afrikaans are mutually intelligible, but they are definately not the same language. For example, I am sure (well, pretty sure) that the Dutch word for barbeque is not "braai."
Tremmert   Monday, September 22, 2003, 18:23 GMT
Yes well braai is definitely an SA word, used by English as well as Afrikaans South Africans. Possibly the same with words like trek and dop?
Clark   Monday, September 22, 2003, 18:58 GMT
I have heard of "trek," as that word has entered into Global English; but "dop" only sounds distantly familiar, and I could not give a defintion of it.
Clark   Thursday, September 25, 2003, 22:22 GMT
Tremmert, I am currently reading anothe book on South Africa. This one is a bit dated (published in 1982), but is still interesting. It is called, "The White Tribe of Africa." Essentially it is about the history of the Boers and their conflicts with the British.

I think you once said that you are more Afrikaner than British, but you speak English as your native language. I find this interesting. Does this mean that there is a lot of intermarriage between Afrikaners and Britishers ("Britisher" is a term I read in this book; handy word I think)? Or is it because a lot of people have moved to the cities for employment and therefore intermarriage takes place?
Lou   Friday, September 26, 2003, 14:37 GMT
A dop, in SA, means a drink.