Americans sound nasal

wassabi   Tuesday, September 23, 2003, 23:31 GMT
not unless that's their name
Clark   Wednesday, September 24, 2003, 00:08 GMT
Ah. Maybe it is a California thing (?).
Californian   Wednesday, September 24, 2003, 02:57 GMT
Ummmm I am from San Francisco and I never hear anyone say "Yeah guy!" I am 15 years old though. How old are you? Everyone just goes "Yeah dude!" and occasionally "Yeah man!" but never "Yeah guy!"

YEAH DUDE!
mjd   Wednesday, September 24, 2003, 02:59 GMT
I've heard "guy" used that way before. Usually it's in a jokingly sarcastic manner. I prefer "man" or "dude" myself.
mjd   Wednesday, September 24, 2003, 03:00 GMT
*sorry....."joking and sarcastic"
Clark   Wednesday, September 24, 2003, 06:07 GMT
Yeah, I have only used and heard it in a sarcastic way when someone says or does something that is not very nice.

For example, a person tips over a trash can, and the second it falls you yell out, "hey guy! What's up with that?!" But it is really hard to explain how it sounds because the intonation is different.
wassabi   Thursday, September 25, 2003, 02:42 GMT
i have never heard of it even used in the sarcastic way. does anyone in california have the name guy? b/c thats partially the reason why we don't say that is b/c its actually a name
Californian   Thursday, September 25, 2003, 03:17 GMT
Guy is a weird name.... but one of my classmates is named Guy Boo. He is really strange.... like all Guys I reckon. Guy Pearce!
wassabi   Thursday, September 25, 2003, 03:35 GMT
i find it sounds strange too
Clark   Thursday, September 25, 2003, 05:26 GMT
"Guy" is not a popular name in California, but neither is "Clark."
Holly   Thursday, September 25, 2003, 15:17 GMT
I think Americans sound nasal when they say no
chris   Thursday, September 25, 2003, 17:34 GMT
I'm originally from upstate New York and I've lived in the UK, Australia and New York City. Although some pronounced (dare I say exagerated on television) New York City accents may sound whiny, I don't think that you can call most of them nasal, much less the accents in other parts of the country. Aussies and Kiwis sound much more nasal to me, but probably not whiny. For the life of me, I can't see why they think that Americans sound nasal in comparison.

I believe that people's prejudice about other cultures (and regions) is the dominant factor in how particular accents are received.
A.S.C.M.   Friday, September 26, 2003, 00:22 GMT
According to many Americans, Canadians say "aboot" but I think Canadians pronounce the word more like "aboat", as one would call a floating man-made object.

I really don't know who's correct in this situation. Americans tend to have strange ears. What do the Canadians say?
Californian   Friday, September 26, 2003, 02:29 GMT
Wow me too I think Australians and Kiwis sound really wicked cool but also wayyyyy more nasal than us Americans! It boggles the mind.
wassabi   Friday, September 26, 2003, 02:53 GMT
we say "about" but its quite an exageragted ou....think avril lavigne. except it is true, the newfies say "aboot".