Americans sound nasal

Yen   Saturday, September 20, 2003, 21:19 GMT
Does anybody else think Americans sound really nasal?
Like they say "I'm gonna go to the pardy"
And Nooooooo I don't wanna eat right nowwww
wassabi   Saturday, September 20, 2003, 23:09 GMT
i agree, sometimes whiney in some states
Clark   Sunday, September 21, 2003, 00:36 GMT
I never really thought about our accents as being nasal, and I have still never really heard a nasal American accent accept for Ray Ramon's accent from his show, "Everybody Loves Raymond."
mjd   Sunday, September 21, 2003, 01:16 GMT
I can understand how some might think our accent is nasal. What I don't understand is the sound Yen was trying to illustrate by writing "Noooooo" and "nowwwwww." This would seem to signify dragging out words rather than nasality. Could you elaborate a little bit more, Yen?
wingyellow   Sunday, September 21, 2003, 01:26 GMT
Nasality has everything to do with climate. If the climate is really cold, you can't breathe too deep or open your mouth too wide, so you speak with your nose. This is my observation of different Chinese dialects. People in Southern China, like me, speak with no nasality at all. We substitute "n" with "l". But those in Northern China have a very distincitve nasal voice.
Dale   Sunday, September 21, 2003, 01:31 GMT
It's a Sat night, don't you people have anything better to do than sit around and discuss whether Americans are nasal. If you are European, go out and meet someone from the opposite sex and copulate. Most of the population of Europe is declining because youe guys sit around and type stupid shit on your computers. This is disgusting.
vuitier   Sunday, September 21, 2003, 01:49 GMT
I agree with Dale. This is suck a waste of time. This whole web site sucks the big one. I am from France and I need a job. We now have over 10% unemployment nationwide. We have been in a major recession for many years. I receive wellfare checks from the government and I really don't have to work, but sometimes, especially after reading the stuff posted on this site, that I should become man and get a job. I am out of here. This web site sucks. I have many more important things to do then continue to waste my life here.

Good bye.
Clark   Sunday, September 21, 2003, 03:48 GMT
Wingyellow writes, "Nasality has everything to do with climate." There have been studies about climate and language, but climate simply has no affect on language what so ever.
wingyellow   Sunday, September 21, 2003, 04:41 GMT
That is not true. I personally observed that my friend acquired the nasality after living in Canada for five years.
wassabi   Sunday, September 21, 2003, 04:55 GMT
i live in canada, and i have never heard anyone say to me i sound nasal. obviously your friend got a cold, or you don't know what she sounds like. Canada is not as cold as you think. she probably lived in the terretories. thats cold. but hello, there is a summer too.
sima   Sunday, September 21, 2003, 22:18 GMT
I think Americans sound nasal too. For example in the Nanny.The nanny has a nasal accent. It's abvious for me and everytime I go to the US I see the difference.
Hythloday   Sunday, September 21, 2003, 22:28 GMT
Yes, North American accents of English are nasal, as are French accents at the underlying contrastive level, and certain British English accents such as Scouse and Brummie. I don't think this makes these accents sound whiney, though.
Pentatonic   Sunday, September 21, 2003, 22:30 GMT
C'mon people, the US is a big country. Some people talk that way and some don't. It's the same in other English-speaking countries.
Clark   Monday, September 22, 2003, 00:32 GMT
I was just thinking tha maybe the people who are not Americans and saying that American accents sound nasal are only used to hearing East Coast accents. What do you think of the West Coast California accent? Does this sound nasal as well?
wassabi   Monday, September 22, 2003, 01:06 GMT
no just a bit cowboyish