The word toilet?

!   Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 01:09 GMT
craaaaaaaaaaaazy
Jay   Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 02:24 GMT

It's odd that there is no good word for this.
Restroom is wrong because it just sounds so euphemistic.
Washroom sounds old fashioned and it also gets away from why you are really going there.
Bathroom is probably the one I actually use, but it has similar problems.
Toliet used to refer to the whole room just isn't American English.

the loo is pretty good...suppose it comes from l'eau of "gardez l'eau", though this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/696115.stm BBC article seems to refer to just the toliet as "the loo". It also uses "lavatory", which I think had some usage in U.S. English but has since died out.
Jay   Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 02:28 GMT
This question is essential to me!
A.S.C.M.   Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 02:34 GMT
I would say that lavatory and water closet are the best choices, though I tend to say "toilet". They sound neither euphemistic to non-Americans nor improper to Americans.
Nothing wrong with   Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 02:35 GMT
There is nothing wrong with saying restroom. It's just Jim thinks there is.
A.S.C.M.   Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 02:40 GMT
Well, restroom is simply not British English, just as toilet used to refer to the whole room is simply not American English.

Better to have an international orientation!
mjd   Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 07:01 GMT
You still hear lavatory a lot in American English. Elementary school teachers often refer to the bathroom/toilet as "the lav."
mjd   Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 07:03 GMT
We can debate the euphemisms, but as to what to use, this all depends on what country you're in. Use whatever the most common term is in the country that you're visiting.
Simon   Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 08:53 GMT
What about the Defecation and Urination Booth?
Jaro   Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 12:49 GMT
OH, Urination Booth, that sounds disgustingly..
...   Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 13:38 GMT
Maybe it's not impolite to say it in the countries that say it, but it is really impolite {almost vulgar} to call the restroom the toilet in America.
Jay   Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 13:40 GMT
That second "me" was an impersonator.
Simon   Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 13:46 GMT
Is it really that impolite?
...   Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 13:48 GMT
it is really impolite and gross to say toilet in a restaurant.
mjd   Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 15:27 GMT
I think you guys are overreacting a bit. I work in a restaurant and if someone said "toilet" to me (as I've said before, for me the toilet is the contraption in the bathroom), I'd point them to the bathroom. It would be a little out of the ordinary to hear someone refer to the bathroom as a whole as a toilte, but it wouldn't be disgusting or gross.