What do Brits think of American English?

Clark   Tuesday, November 11, 2003, 21:50 GMT
I meant, "rather loudly."
####   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 00:18 GMT
So your american cousin loves to listen to the american acent...isnt that a bit vein?
A.S.C.M.   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 00:37 GMT
Hello, Clark.

You mentioned two cousins in your last post. Which cousin was the one who loved American accents? The British cousin or the 5-year-old American cousin?
peggy   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 01:57 GMT
Can anybody tell me what /vs/ stands for in Stephen's post ?
Thanks
A.S.C.M.   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 02:01 GMT
vs= versus= against; compared to
Sima   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 02:03 GMT
In France pupils are taught English spelling and I think it's better. If they were thought American spelling and later they discover the English spelling they would be more confused than vice versa.
Sima   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 02:06 GMT
sorry : 'if they were taught'
peggy   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 02:14 GMT
thanks ASCM
Juan   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 02:25 GMT
Why would anybody care?
Clark   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 05:52 GMT
Sorry, my English cousin likes the American accents. My 5 year old American cousin could really care less :-P
Simon   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 08:43 GMT
English attitudes to American accents are contradictory, complicated and varying. Probably not to different to the way Americans feel about English accents.
Vinnie Jones   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 08:45 GMT
>>>There was a line in some British movie where an American says rather l9udly on a London street, "didn't you people spawn this language? Then why the hell can't you people speak it properly?!?" <<<

The movie in question is 'Snatch' and in the scene you are speaking of the British character is speaking using English slang. That is why the American can't understand what is being said.
Bagpuss   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 19:03 GMT
I am English in America and have a few comments....

The Aluminium (UK) / Aluminum (US) spelling difference came about in the late 1800's when the i was dropped to reduce the word by a syllable for "Yankee brevity" (I quote from a book published by the Aluminum company I work for )

Now, can someone please explain the pronunciation of 'Arkansas' to me
If Kansas is pronounced how it looks, how on earth does Arkansas become 'Ar-kan-sal' ??

It can be confusing working here. For accuracy & professionalism, I have to use American spellings, but it feels like I am misspelling when I do !

I think the main point that the people I work with miss, is that I speak English, whilst they speak American English.
Neither is right or wrong, they are just different.
carl   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 20:28 GMT
im english but i thing the american english language sounds cool. So wot if a few words are splet different i always like listening to my american buddies talk
Ryan   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 22:50 GMT
I think that's Ar-kan-saw. It's pronounced differently because that is the south. People pronounce things differently there.