What do Brits think of American English?

Simon   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 15:23 GMT
I would imagine that having been part of French Louisiana, Arkansas is based on how the French pronounced it (compare the AS sound in PAS if you know French). Kansas would have probably been outside this area.
Eastie   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 16:59 GMT
There's a river that flows through the states of Colorado, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Kansas called the Arkansas River. It's generally pronounced ['ar k..n sa], but once it reaches Kansas, the pronunciation becomes [ar 'kaen z..s"]. There's also a city in Kansas called Arkansas City that's pronounced the same Kansan way.
A.S.C.M.   Friday, November 14, 2003, 08:36 GMT
http://members.aol.com/xpus/Britbounds.html

This is hilarious: A plan for slicing up Great Britain into six states and integrating them into the United States.
Simon   Friday, November 14, 2003, 08:42 GMT
London is a great European city!

Otherwise it's not a bad plan. Maybe "London" would have been a better name than Londinia, which sounds like something out of Lord of the Rings. After all, you have New York State and City.
Mary Hinge   Friday, November 14, 2003, 19:26 GMT
American? It is not English. It is an abomination
Ryan   Friday, November 14, 2003, 20:43 GMT
What happened to Northern Ireland? Is that a separate state too or will Irish special interest groups in the US force the American government to give it back to the Irish?

I like this idea. It will make it easier to watch the BBC and I won't have to use my passport to visit anymore. But it probably won't happen for a while because we have to take over Canada first.
wassabi   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 04:21 GMT
you'll most likely have us if Quebec decides to become its own country. heck you don't need to take us over, we're practically totally americanized anyway(s). We're so wishywashy sometimes, eh?
Hythloday   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 22:23 GMT
American cultural imperialism has already taken over half the world, you nitwit. Typical Yank, no idea what's goping on in the outside world whatsoever.
mjd   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 22:36 GMT
Hythloday,

Why are you always such a prick?
Eastie   Sunday, November 16, 2003, 00:52 GMT
Jeez, man. Ryan was making a funny. Put your humor cap on.
Clark   Sunday, November 16, 2003, 04:27 GMT
I have found that Hythloday is a very smart person, but borders on being too British and anti-American. This is why I only like it when he talks about language; but even then he can be nasty.
mjd   Sunday, November 16, 2003, 05:38 GMT
I mean obviously Ryan's remark was made in jest and Wassabi is a teenage Canadian girl. I don't think there was any need for the "nitwit" comment.

Hythloday is an intelligent person, but his prejudices taint whatever comments he makes (thus weakening his arguments/credibility). What Americans has he encountered on this forum that have "no idea of what's 'goping'(sic)....obviously you meant 'going'.........on in the outside world"?

I've been posting on this forum for over a year and I've grown accustomed to talking to many of the "regulars" who frequent this forum from all around the world. One learns an awful lot about others' opinions/cultures and how ridiculous it is to include generalizations like "the typical so and so" in his/her posts.

What makes you so atypical and special, Hythloday?
Ryan   Sunday, November 16, 2003, 06:02 GMT
Well, I have some idea of what is going on, but of course my perception is biased by what our media chooses to show us. Like I said, I do watch BBC News sometimes and, of course, their view of the US is slightly less positive than CNN's, but it is still basically positive. After all, the UK and US are major allies.

It's not my fault that people from other countries choose to accept our American junk and forgo their traditional cultural heritages. I don't accept most of it myself as I think that American culture should be based on the culture of the unique individual and his or her vision, and not corporate greed. This means I shop at locally owned businesses whenever possible rather than at corporate places like Wal-Mart, and I eat at local restaurants rather than McDonalds.

My comment reflected more of my liking of British culture and I would have hoped that it would have been construed positively by any British people on the board, but I guess that wasn't the case. Of course, the Canadian joke is an old, tired one, but as a native Michigander, I can say that the Michigan-Canada rivalry runs pretty deep.
wassabi   Saturday, November 22, 2003, 22:47 GMT
since when did we have rivalry?
wassabi   Saturday, November 22, 2003, 22:55 GMT
to mjd: cheese, that's creepy, i better be carefull what i say on here.
to hythloday: iwas going along with the joke (i'm tempted to say nitwit here)