Differences between American & British English

Willy   Friday, May 07, 2004, 10:40 GMT
open minded has made threads. Tom, eliminate all this disparity.
Xatufan   Friday, May 07, 2004, 14:25 GMT
Does anyone know about Guyanese accent?
Ben   Friday, May 07, 2004, 16:06 GMT
It's similar to other Carribean English accents like those in Jamaica or Barbados. Its sort of a hybrid of African dialects and Early Modern English (i.e. the English that was spoken by white slave traders in the 16th & 17th centuries).
Damian   Friday, May 07, 2004, 21:46 GMT
Regarding British English and American English and our different ways of pronunciation. I have no problems with this normally but I do wince when I hear Americans pronounce the name of my home city, Edinburgh. They all seem to call it "Eddin-BURROW"! All other nationalities seem to pronounce it much nearer to the way we do: "Eddin-bruh" except the Americans. I know it's trivial but it still irritates me.
septic   Friday, May 07, 2004, 22:12 GMT
Ditto that for anyone not from the US pronouncing Maryland correctly. I'm surprised that most Americans wouldn't pronounce the g at the end.
Damian   Saturday, May 08, 2004, 16:44 GMT
Maryland.....that's interesting. How many ways are there to pronounce it? I would simply say "Mary" then "Land" but joined together in one word with 2 syllables. At a guess, would an American say "Murry-land" using the characteristic American "r" sound? If I was there I would try to pronouce it the way the locals do.
Eastie   Saturday, May 08, 2004, 18:37 GMT
"Ditto that for anyone not from the US pronouncing Maryland correctly. I'm surprised that most Americans wouldn't pronounce the g at the end."

Why would anyone pronounce a "g" at the end when there is none?

I pronounce Maryland as [mer..l..n(d)], with a very soft "d" sound that is barely audible (i.e. lightly tapped).
mjd   Saturday, May 08, 2004, 19:12 GMT
[me..r..l..nd]

My "mar" rhymes with "air" or "mare."
mjd   Saturday, May 08, 2004, 19:15 GMT
That is my "mar" in the word "Maryland." In "Mars," for example, it's completely different.
Gotti   Saturday, May 08, 2004, 19:22 GMT
Quote-''My "mar" rhymes with "air" or "mare."''. How do you pronounce ''air'' and ''mare''?
mjd   Saturday, May 08, 2004, 22:21 GMT
Ghoti,

I refer you to the ASCII chart, where "air" and "where" are two of the sample words.

http://www.antimoon.com/how/pronunc-ascii.htm
mjd   Saturday, May 08, 2004, 22:52 GMT
*Gotti
Damian   Saturday, May 08, 2004, 23:10 GMT
This is fun...ok I will compromise......as it is in the US I will from now on say "mare..l..n....(d)" (the d only just teensy weensy bit audible). I'm glad I do not come from Liverpool otherwise it would be "murr...l...n..(d)"

Ghoti.....there is something fishy about your name! :-)
(groan...you've probably heard it zillions of times before)

Cheers
Gotti   Saturday, May 08, 2004, 23:33 GMT
[e..[r]] and [me..[r]].
Yes   Sunday, May 09, 2004, 00:20 GMT
yes