Differences between American & British English

septic   Tuesday, April 20, 2004, 01:27 GMT
UK English is full of the same laziness in enunciation that marks American English. The only difference is that you are accustomed to your own while you hear ours.
Xatufan   Friday, April 23, 2004, 14:16 GMT
Hello Again! Thank you for your answers. They were very useful. I live in Ecuador. It's in South America near Peru. I have a new question. Is it practice or practise? Because in a spanish-english dictionnaire (is it spelt correctly?) I found that in the US practice is a verb and practise a noun, but in a US dictionnaire I found that it is always spelt practice. What is correct?
Willy   Friday, April 23, 2004, 20:45 GMT
Hi folks,

visit my topic page called Favorite Class? If yes, I say English. Y'all
find my new spelling reform. Don't worry about some mistakes when I've
typed. I don't pretend to change the whole English language. I like the
pronunciation, except the spelling at all. Some weird sounds are still
different from the spelling. I don't like this more in the future.

U.S.A England
center centre

now as / senter / in U.S.A
now as / senta / in England

The worst crazy thing in American English is the d or t sounding as
a trilled r in other languages. The Americans say t sounds as d, but
that's not true. I've heard enough and I know d is d and t is t. What's
going on with 'em?

I'm Amercian but I avoid to pronounce this mistake. Some intellectual people
in U.S.A don't pronounce them as a trilled r.

The worst crazy thing in Received Pronunciation is the silent r after vowels.

The car is said "car," not "ca" as in England.

They say they pronounce the r only before vowels. That's erroneous.

That's why I've made the best spelling for each country. I'll think I'm crazy,
but just think you don't know who I am. Maybe I could be the Noah Webster's spirit. He was a writer that wanted to change all the weird English
spelling for a new one with more sense. He had a lot of logic.

Now I understand why both countries don't pronounce and write the English English at all.

My New Reform is:
democracy / " demôcrasy " ^ is to indicate stress. C is changed for S in my reform. Ô sounds a short o ( a: ), not as in ( o: ).

heart / " hart "

sergeant / " sarjent "

sweat / " swet "

Some of the things I've written, have changed the best one is at the end of the my topic page called Favorite Class? If yes, I say English.
Ben   Friday, April 23, 2004, 21:25 GMT
Both England and the US have issues with the letter t.

The issue comes up when a t is placed between two vowels (e.g. "better" "butter" "putting" "hated" etc.). Pronouncing the t sound between two vowels sounds rather odd, and kind of interupts the flow of speech.

In America, the t turns like a d (or, more accurately, like the tapped r in spanish & italian).

In British, the t often becomes a glottal stop, a forced puff of air from the back of the throat.
Philip   Friday, April 23, 2004, 23:16 GMT
I do believe that it IS nice to hear the brithish accent for a while. However, I think hearing it all the time may become pretty annoying.
Danny   Saturday, April 24, 2004, 00:51 GMT
To Xatufan: Come on, It is really obvious you have a pretty good English, so why do you not stop asking so many stupid questions ?
septico   Saturday, April 24, 2004, 06:40 GMT
You are lying, septic!
Jo   Sunday, April 25, 2004, 17:15 GMT
'I do believe that it IS nice to hear the brithish accent for a while. However, I think hearing it all the time may become pretty annoying.'

you dont notice the english accent so much when everyone is speaking it. also, the way english people use the english accent (the traditional 'james bond' style accent) is completely different to the way americans try to replicate it- which is really annoying.
Xatufan   Monday, April 26, 2004, 00:09 GMT
Gracias for saying I speak a very good English. OK, I'll stop asking idiot questions. For a while! I love American accent, but I write British. Foolish youth! (Why don't you try to learn Spanish. It's easier to pronounce than English!) ¡Adiós!
Jim   Tuesday, April 27, 2004, 05:11 GMT
"Practise" verses "practice".

In US spelling it's always "practice". The rest of us spell it "practice" if it's the noun and "practise" if it's the verb.
Xatufan   Thursday, April 29, 2004, 01:08 GMT
I'm tired of reading your writings, British-English-speakers, when you write "realise" instead of "realize" and so on. In Spanish, we write civilización and not civilisación. It's a stupid mistake if we write the last one. And it's also "realizar", "urbanización" and so on. In Italian and Latin, the rule is the same. However in French the right spell is with "s".
Simon   Thursday, April 29, 2004, 10:38 GMT
SSSSSSSSSSsssssssssssssssssssssssss...... Sorry, Xatufan but I appear to have fallen asleep reading your last post.
Lavoisel   Thursday, April 29, 2004, 11:07 GMT
Xatufan,

why do you regard the use of an "s" in "civilisation" as correct in French and incorect in British English? I wonder.
jo   Thursday, April 29, 2004, 15:11 GMT
especially as so much of english derives from french...
Xatufan   Friday, April 30, 2004, 14:07 GMT
Oh! Sorry, yes, yes, realise and recognise are correct and now I will only speak in French! Merci!