Differences between American & British English

johnna   Wednesday, June 09, 2004, 23:50 GMT
mjd im a girl not a dude!
Someone   Wednesday, June 09, 2004, 23:51 GMT
You know what? I don't even believe you. I think you're just trying to be annoying. BTW, I thought all people from the south said "ain't." Have you ever read "To Kill a Mockingbird"? I have, and just about everyone in it says "ain't."
johnna   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 00:05 GMT
hello!
Xatufan   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 02:19 GMT
I've been away a week, and I've got a lot to read! I'm really sorta sick with that horrible words. Do Americans have something in their mouths that they can't speak slower!?

Europa: You've got the right name! It's very beautiful; it is the name of the fourth moon of Jupiter, in order of importance.

Johnna: Hello!

Eugenia: You're right: people, especially street boys, usually use some words in a paradoxic or a strange meaning. It is called sarcasm. You (or someone in this forum) mentioned an intelligent guy who had just won a good grade, and his school mates said he was "bad". Well, I think these boys are jealous of this super-smart guy. Congratulations to him! He could be the first person to clone an alien, or to die living.
I read somewhere that English people said "wicked" instead of "cool". This could also mean the thing they call "wicked" could be a forbidden thing...
Xatufan   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 02:27 GMT
Johnna: Punctuation IS important, no matter where you are. Just ask a Chinese if punctuation helps to understand...
Someone   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 02:40 GMT
Hello, Xatufan. Where're you from? "Bad" and "wicked" are sometimes used to mean good, with no negative connotation.
mjd   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 02:49 GMT
Johnna,

Yes, I was referring to you.

Well being that this is an English language forum, it'd be nice if you'd try to use punctuation. I can also say you certainly don't speak for most Americans...trying not using punctuation on a test or a resumé and see how far it takes you.
Damian   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 08:09 GMT
Johnna: you are 11? You have a lot of learning to do...make a start with your dots and commas, please. It makes understanding a bit easier. Do you know what capital letters are?
Eugenia   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 11:16 GMT
Guys, he's 11 years old, give I'm a break!
Johnna you surely know how to use capital letters and punctuation, but you have to use them everywhere not only at school, and as Damian said, it will be better for us if you use them, if you don't, other people may get ''lost'' when reading your comments, do you get what I mean?
Anyway, 11 years old, for the time being you don't have to worry about that (so much)...
???   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 12:00 GMT
this board is so proper
johnna   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 12:04 GMT
Yes, I know what capital letters are i learned that in around the 1st grade. I'm just on a summer vacation and havent used any of this in i think it is 4-5 weeks now. I've been learning english all my life and one eighth of my time in school is spent doing this which will continue through high-school.
Johnna   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 12:11 GMT
O.k. well "wiked" kinda means "awesome" if you've ever heard that before in the english language and "awesome" kind of means cool. So its like one word feeding off of another I guess. When us americans say "bad" well not all americans just the younger ones like my age say "bad" we mean that it IS a good thing. We've kind of made up our OWN language now, and i could tell you all of these weird words people my age have made up and their meanings if you guys would like to hear some.
johnna   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 12:16 GMT
Ok, Eugenia first of all im a SHE. Second who's Damian, and anyway i just dont think it is important to use puntuation when your typing an email to a friend or something if they speak your language and understand what your saying.
johnna   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 12:19 GMT
Well, I always use good punctuation on a test but not when i'm talking to a friend via email or whatever.
Damian   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 13:19 GMT
???: this site has to be proper! The use of English in the site has to be "proper" if it is to be "effective". Look at it's title please: "Learn English Effectively". That's what it's all about to my way of thinking. If I am a pedantic smart arse guy, then please tell me. I just have this serious flaw in my character: I love the language I was born into and like to see it used proper! Sorry...properly! :-)