Native speakers, How can I get an American accent?

mjd   Sunday, November 09, 2003, 07:17 GMT
Adam, what are you going on about? "Gimme" is slang. "U" for "you" is internet slang. Slang and abbreviations are used all over the internet in many languages (For example, you'll see Portuguese speakers writing "vcs" for "vocĂȘs" or "k" for "que"), so to label this some sort of "American thing" is just plain silly.

I can assure you if I'd ever written "u" or "gimme" on my essays in school, my papers would have been full of red ink.

Clear those dry beans out of your skull, Adam....or should I say "outta" your skull.
mjd   Sunday, November 09, 2003, 07:22 GMT
One more thing, Adam.

"hello? it's just two further letters!!!! is that going to hurt you? or to make you waste your entire life? absolutely not!! so write the way it has to be! don't be bloody arseholes."

Sentences begin with capital letters. Had you taken a bit "more time," you could have written these sentences correctly.

Ah well, we're all just humans...."bloody arseholes" by nature, I suppose.
Boy   Sunday, November 09, 2003, 14:06 GMT
Gaurav,
...Kisi American ladki se shaadi karlo ....

Someone was from India who gave the advice in previous post but he wrote it in Hindhi.

Translation:

It just simply meant that you'd have to get married with a beautiful American girl, If you wanted to adopt an American accent. Nice Advice though, just check up on your parents won't argue.
American Girl   Sunday, November 09, 2003, 19:16 GMT
Whats wrong with an American accent?Why is the whole world so against Americans?I'm an American and proud of it whoever doesn't like that can go straight to hell.
www.americanaccent.com
mjd   Monday, November 10, 2003, 04:53 GMT
That web site has some rather humorous sounds that are supposed to resemble our accent.

"How to wreck a nice beach" is supposed to be the sound of "how to recognize speech."........certainly not in my accent.

I think "did you eat" would be more something like: "djyoo eat"
"Jeet" sounds too corny...to much like a "hick."
mjd   Monday, November 10, 2003, 04:57 GMT
*spelling error....."too much like a hick."
Beelzebubs   Monday, November 10, 2003, 13:21 GMT
There are too many reasons why people are "Anti-American" to list. Personally though I agree that the American accent is one of the most annoying and unattractive accents on this planet, but only to people who's first language is English and whom know how to pronounce words correctly. But I must add that the same can be said about the mispronunciation of some words in England too, varying from county to county. I blame the American "trash tv" and the children who watch it and think it's "cool" to sound American.

I can only answer to the original question with another question.
Why on earth would you want an American accent unless you're living in America?

There's nothing "cool" about sounding American. It just makes you sound thick.
Chris   Monday, November 10, 2003, 13:55 GMT
So sounding like an American isn't good????
Beelzebubs   Monday, November 10, 2003, 14:03 GMT
Not if you're not an American.
mjd   Monday, November 10, 2003, 19:34 GMT
Beelzebubs,

I beg your pardon, but I definitely pronounce words correctly in my accent. Who are you to say what's correct and what's not?

This is all a matter of taste.
Ryan   Monday, November 10, 2003, 22:45 GMT
I'd rather have a thick-sounding accent than an annoyingly pompous sounding one.
yuuuuuuuu   Tuesday, November 11, 2003, 01:03 GMT
THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK
Looser   Tuesday, November 11, 2003, 01:07 GMT
I have no self-estime. I'm sure I would be more respected if I was American. I wish I got the American citizen ship in order to be a winner (or look like one).
I'm lost   Tuesday, November 11, 2003, 01:24 GMT
I'm Lost but I'm not stranded yet

Beelzebubs   Tuesday, November 11, 2003, 09:18 GMT
mjd,

Where are you from? You ask who am I to say what's correct and what's not after telling me that you "definitely pronounce words correctly" in your accent. So what accent do you have and "who are you to say what's correct and what's not"? I didn't say anything about the American accent being incorrect, I said it sounds thick. I also didn't say anything about the English accent being correct. What I said was about the grammer and the pronunciation of words making Americans sound thick to the English. I also said that regions in England also mispronounce words.

As for Ryan rather having "a thick-sounding accent than an annoyingly pompous sounding one", why are you in a forum for Learning English Effectively? The only reason your accent sounds thick to the English is because of the laziness that most Americans have with their pronunciation of words.