American english is ENGLISH, British english is ENGLISH

Simon   Wednesday, January 28, 2004, 14:42 GMT
Yeah really Irish. Jenny is short for Jennifer which is the same name as Guinevere etc. It is Welsh.
Simon   Wednesday, January 28, 2004, 14:50 GMT
The things Americans seem to identify as Irish always seem to turn out to be British. Curious.
Khatiya   Sunday, February 01, 2004, 22:48 GMT
Jenny- I disagree with you. If I went to a foreign country and some one asked me where I was from, I would most certainly not say 'American', I would proudly respond "I am part Russian, part Polish, part Ukranian, part Georgian, and part Isrealite." You see, I have lived in America for 7 years, and I think it would be so unfair and disrespectful to my ansestors to just call myself 'American', especially since there's no such thing.
James- My friend is black and she's Panamanian. Not everyone who's black is African.
Jenny   Sunday, February 01, 2004, 23:32 GMT
Well, I just thought that because I've lived in the United States for my entire life, am an American citizen, and live under U.S. laws, it would be fine for me to call myself American.
Although through some of my ancestores, my family does have a fairly awesome coat of arms.
some rectifications   Monday, February 02, 2004, 10:53 GMT
1 what do you do with a guy who has some indian blood, he's simply american.
2 a man who has a french name, but his family live in America since 200 or 100 or 50 or 1 year whatever you want is american. It's not unrespectfull for his ancestors. It's jut a question of integration.
Eastie   Monday, February 02, 2004, 18:18 GMT
"I think it would be so unfair and disrespectful to my ansestors to just call myself 'American', especially since there's no such thing. "

But there are many of us Americans whose ancestors have been in the US for countless generations and no longer have sentimental ties to the old country. I’ve also encountered many fellow Americans who only have the slightest inkling of where their family came from, if not at all. So when we call ourselves "American" it’s meant as no disrespect to our ancestors or heritage. It’s simply what we were born and brought up to be.

I don't quite understand what you mean by saying there's no such thing as "American". Is it because we're a nation of immigrants? Would you say the same thing about the Canadians, Mexicans, Brazilians, Australians, and other peoples descended from old world immigrants?
Khatiya   Monday, February 02, 2004, 22:06 GMT
Yes. Still, I agree that if ur family has lived here for like a million years you can call yourself American. I think it makes sense that way. I guess I'm just so proud of being so diverse.

Being a nation of immigrants is what really bugs me though. I am first generation here so I know a thing or two about my old country (or countries?).
Khatiya   Monday, February 02, 2004, 22:10 GMT
James- Do you realize that "Asian" is refering to people of middle east decent also?