American english is ENGLISH, British english is ENGLISH

ENGLISH IS ENGLISH   Friday, January 02, 2004, 00:33 GMT
In the English speaking world, people can easily understand each other no matter what English speaking country they are from, if they just spoke simple standard English (which isn't hard if your from an English speaking country). American English and British English must be what?.... 99.5% different when it comes to spellings and word usage? The accents change, but people can understand each other, and if they don't then they just speak a bit "clearer" and then we can understand each other. Simple.

So stop pretending that there are major differences between way Americans, British, Canadians, Australians etc speak English. Because there is hardly a difference. We can communicate with each other, and the differences are so stupidly small.

American English is not superior to British English or vice-verser, it's practically the same friggin language. So stop arguing like little kiddies.

Thank You.

(P.S I tried my best to write in standard American English, British English, Australian English, Canadian English all at the same time.....it was so hard.)
Bren   Friday, January 02, 2004, 00:46 GMT
I totally agree with you. I hate it when people always rant about how the they speak is better than everyone elses. Finally someone spoke up.
Juan   Friday, January 02, 2004, 08:15 GMT
Really!!?? A lot of Americans have difficulty understanding some of the accents and dialects in Britain, including myself at times. I think Snatch the movie gives a good example.
American   Friday, January 02, 2004, 16:29 GMT
My accent is nasal and filled with hard "r". It sucks.
american accent sucks   Friday, January 02, 2004, 16:52 GMT
Right. Moreover there is hardly any tone and no music in American English. No problem with the people, but how awful the accent is! Brrr!
Alice   Friday, January 02, 2004, 22:04 GMT
That's probably true to a degree, but it may just be a matter of adjusting one's ears. I've heard native speakers of romance languages say that English lacks music in all of its dialects. However, I do agree that American accents can sound rather flat. I was listening to Jude Law speak today, and his accent is lovely! Clearly he's English, but doen anyone out there know the exact classification of his accent, (since I suppose just calling it "dreamy" wouldn't be sufficient)?
Californian   Saturday, January 03, 2004, 01:28 GMT
I AM THE BIGGEST JUDE LAW FAN IN THE WORLD!!! He is from south London if that helps :P born and raised (Blackpool I believe)
Alice   Saturday, January 03, 2004, 17:42 GMT
I just saw Cold Mountain last night, and he did a really good job with the American Southern accent. I thought everyone did a good job actually, but my friend didn't like Nichole Kidman's accent. Is there anyone out there from South Carolina? Can you tell me whether or not you thought her accent choice was valid?

It was a good film though, very well made, but why must all civil war epics be so sad? I know that's a silly question, but, it was sooooo sad, and violent too. That scene with the goat was one of the most upsetting things I've ever seen on film. Anyway, lots of accents to discuss, any thoughts?
Anna   Saturday, January 03, 2004, 20:04 GMT
I'm American and I have a very hard time understanding the British accents.I don't care about sounding flat and nasal.Everybody has an accent.
Bobby NY   Saturday, January 03, 2004, 20:33 GMT
In England various parts have completly different accents, But north America and some parts of England prononce words correctly such as PAST instead of PARST. But in the End if you hear Irish people speak the way they Prononce the word Four or wierd is no different from North America.
Stuff like that is what makes an accent.
Don't forget nobody orginates from America, America is just a big peice of land that has being developed by immigrants. You can only be American in the sense That you have a few pieces of paper giving you permission to live on this land and not by Descent roots.
Look at US celebs if they were'nt born in the US they come from parents who were born abroad
In USA we live a German life everything the same as Germany even in England
http://www.germanhollywood.com/
this will show of them
John F Kennedy "We are a nation of immigrants" an Irish American like many preivious US presidents Bill Clinton

USA info approx Main groups

85 million German (4 million Germans immigrate each year)
40 million Irish
36 million Africans
20 million native Indians
25 million Mixed Indian & Spanish
20 million Asians
20 million French
20 million British
15 million Italians
Mark   Saturday, January 03, 2004, 20:42 GMT
USA, I agree with bobby thats is who we are and we accept that
Americans are a bunch of European, African, Asian immigrants that have built a great country from an empty piece of land and try to live in harmony.
in relation to celebs your right just look up there Surname it tells it all where they originate from.

Nobody Originates from USA. To say you are American Means your roots descend Originate from Europe, Africa and Asia.

Happy New Year
Jay   Saturday, January 03, 2004, 23:28 GMT
"from an empty piece of land"

Empty!!!?!!?!!?
It was far from empty.
Ah, imperialism. Ah, humanity.
Eastie   Sunday, January 04, 2004, 00:00 GMT
"Don't forget nobody orginates from America, America is just a big peice of land that has being developed by immigrants. You can only be American in the sense That you have a few pieces of paper giving you permission to live on this land and not by Descent roots."

We are all immigrants -- North and South Americans, Australians, Pacific Islanders, Europeans, Asians, etc. -- if we're to believe the theory that mankind originated from Africa and migrated to the four corners of the world. So my question is: How long does a group of immigrants have to be on a certain piece of land before they can be considered rightful descendants/claimants/heirs of that land? As an American whose ancestors have been on American soil since the late 17th century, why can't I say that my ancestors originate from America?
ENGLISH IS ENGLISH   Sunday, January 04, 2004, 00:01 GMT
"I'm American and I have a very hard time understanding the British accents.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which ones? Have you ever watched Anthony Hopkins in a movie speaking in a British accent, did you have trouble understanding him?

What about Picard off Star Trek, his accent is British.
What about Lord of the Rings, most of the entire cast accents were British.
What about Pirates of the Caribbean? (vast range of British accents)
What about Austin Powers?
What about James Bond?
What about Star Wars?

If Americans had trouble understanding British accents, these movies wouldn't be so widely watched in American movie theaters. Can you understand Tony Blair or Hugh Grants accent?

Bend It Like Beckham was a shock US Box Office hit last year, the entire cast spoke in British accents. Why was this movie a hit, if Americans could not understand their accents?

Some people here are here just to cause arguments, I'm an American and when I went to England last year, I never had any trouble understanding people's accents.
James CA   Sunday, January 04, 2004, 14:58 GMT
Eastie, the reason you can't say that is because no matter how long you live on a piece of land it is not where your roots are. Take a look at your surname and see where it originates from, which other countries contain your surname. The fact is you cannot dig up a plant from spain move it to america for however long and then say it is an American plant this is your roots. Spain is the root and creation of the plant not America.
thats why we have
German American day
Irish American day
Italian American day
Black history month

The fact is where ever you are from

White people are European descent
Black People are African descent
Asian people are Asian descent

That is who and what we are no matter how long or what you do you just have to accept it