Accents of some famous stars

Alice   Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 02:54 GMT
Merly Streep & Robert Downey Jr. can both do superb Aussie accents, this is true, but they've both done British accents fo films as well. Meryl Streep in particular is known for being skilled at speaking in other dialects.
Paul   Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 14:23 GMT
Judith Light definately worked with a voice coach. She had a precise yet unaffected manner of speaking. Very Clear Diction.
Probably just to remove traces of a New Jersey accent.
Paul   Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 14:28 GMT
Hey mjd
Is Trenton in the part of New Jersey with a pseudo-NYC accent.
Curiosity bites.

Regards, Paul V.
mjd   Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 18:56 GMT
Trenton is closer to Philadelphia, but they don't have the "South Jersey" accent. I think people in Trenton speak like most New Jerseyans. The accent becomes exaggerated in the northern part of the state by NYC...Hudson County, Essex County etc., or in the southern part by Philadelphia where their pronunciation of "home" and "phone" is unmistakable.

I live more in the Northern-central part of the state, so I might have some traces of the "North Jersey" accent in my speech, although I don't sound like a cab driver from Brooklyn.
.......   Thursday, April 15, 2004, 01:05 GMT
Connie Said "high jackman, sarah wynter, naomi watts, heath ledger, nicole and antonia kidman, melissa george, kylie and danii minogue"

Here are a few more Aussie Celebs: Females: Vanessa Amorosi, Tina Arena, Cate Blanchett,Bec Cartwrite, Kasey Chambers, Portia De Rossi, Delta Goodrem,Natalie Imbruglia, Elle MacPherson, Tara Moss, Katie Underwood

Males: Eric Bana, John Farnham, Daniel MacPherson, Paul Mercurio,Guy Pearce, Gary Sweet

Can someone please tell me if Russell Crow is Australian or New Zealander?
Elaine   Thursday, April 15, 2004, 01:41 GMT
"Can someone please tell me if Russell Crow is Australian or New Zealander?"

Russell Crowe was born in New Zealand but raised in Australia, which would make him Australian. Some might argue with that and insist that he's Kiwi, but that would be like saying Nicole Kidman is Hawaiian because she was born in Honolulu or that '60s actress Julie Christie is Indian because she was born in India. I guess it all depends on what they identify themselves as.