Looking for Deputy Administrator

mjd   Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 21:30 GMT
Hythloday wrote:

"he knows better than to feed trolls (see above)"

"(I disagree - mjd has rarely helped others and rarely contributes in a constructive way to posts - he's pretty good at killing threads, but rarely contributes intelligently)"

Hythloday, the archive is all the proof I need. At this point I'd say you're a troll, so I'd better stop this.

"I never gloat. I've no need to, but OK, I'll take up your challenge - what are your views on systemic functional linguistics?

What are my views on linguistics?" I'm not a linguist nor have I ever claimed to be one. I'm simply an individual who enjoys helping those on the forum who are learning English (like I said...the archive speaks for itself...my command of the language is just fine, thank you). We all have our different fields of expertise, Hythloday. I got my BA in politics and Lusophone literature. Why don't you tell me a little about the role of women in the works of Eça de Queirós. See how silly you sound. I'll tell you something....I've had many professors from all around the world (including several from the UK) and I can't picture one of them carrying on the way you do on an Internet forum. Grow up a little, will you.
Alice   Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 21:37 GMT
It's pointless debates like this that result in the need for additional moderators. This thread has served it's purpose, Tom has chosen his deputy moderator, (& I, for one, think MJD is a fine choice). So, since this thread isn't likely to be of any further use, can't we just let it go?
Jarec   Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 22:00 GMT
Hythloday Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 21:02 GMT
"I don't believe I have ever claimed to be a Professor. "

Hythloday Sunday, March 07, 2004, 10:27 GMT
"My offer still stands. I am a Professor of English at one of Britain's most exclusive universities."
mjd   Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 22:53 GMT
I agree. I'd also like to apologize to everyone for the bickering, but I objected to his rudeness and tried to call him on it. Oh well, it's impossible to reason with the mindless.

All Tom needs is someone to babysit and make sure the annoying troll who constantly plagues this forum is kept in line. I'm confident that it shouldn't be too hard. Other than that, the discussions should continue as usual.
!!!!!!!   Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 23:00 GMT
Hehe, the google ads have a kind of sense of humour:

"Transforming Anger
Learn to manage anger with simple effective research-based techniques
http://www.heartmath.com "

Wanna give it a go, Hythloday?
Juan   Wednesday, March 10, 2004, 01:26 GMT
<<- they do not post messages that are sure to provoke boring flamewars >>

It shouldn't come as a surprise that this board in the last few weeks has suddenly become terribly dull. No one with an ounce of intelligence, that seeks to indulge in a bit of a discussion, is ever going to bother posting here with such a draconian and prudish mindset from the administrator. Don't take yourself and everything that is posted in these forums so seriously. They are just type words after all, and from individuals who we wouldn't give a hoot about their opinions in normal day-to-day life given that they are complete strangers (I think is fair to assume) to most of us.
dian   Wednesday, March 10, 2004, 06:11 GMT
I haven't visited this thread yet, because I thought before that it was not about English.

I agree with you guys that mjd and Jim to be appointed the vice forum manager or deputy administrator of this fourm.

Congratulation mjd and Jim!