Foreigners in England/France

Migh Mick   Monday, June 21, 2004, 12:46 GMT
Well it doesn't "not save anything". It saves a lot, most things. A lot is more than absolutely nothing. If there were nothing, we would have no Bible, no hieroglyphics, no pyramids, no fossil research, no Louvre, no heritage, no identity, no sense of place and finally, no language. All this over many centuries, many millennia and we still have it all. There might be some distortion, but most of what we have sustained is in excellent working order. Reproductions don't have to be perfect or distortionless to carry sufficient information and meaning.

We still have Latin, an "unused" language, but it is technology that kept it alive. There's your proof. Even if it isn't widely spoken, it is still used in certain circles, e.g. Church clergy. What's special today about our technology is that not only can we keep writings of the Latin language but we can record the speech to have the best representation of its sounding aspect. You couldn't do that 200 years ago. All we had was "word of mouth" reproduction which was the most lossy method. (Or is it? but that's another discussion.)

The most important thing I suggested before was our "diffusion" technology, something that is entirely new to grace our planet. With this form we can prolong the life expectancy of our "active" language more than ever in history, both written and spoken. Maybe even for another 1000 years.
Migh Mick   Monday, June 21, 2004, 12:49 GMT
PS: regarding loss of info on disquettes. That's why backups and archives are kept before migrating the data to the next generation of data storage.
nic   Monday, June 21, 2004, 13:32 GMT
I agree you for some points but (because there is always one)
“You couldn't do that 200 years ago.” So how did they do? Latin still being here because some people kept it before us. So I don’t see why our technology is better if they were able to keep latin “alive” for many centuries.

“The most important thing I suggested before was our "diffusion" technology, something that is entirely new to grace our planet. With this form we can prolong the life expectancy of our "active" language more than ever in history, both written and spoken”
I don’t think, Internet for example is an expansion and the propagation of an anglo (especially U.S.A of course) view of the world for 95% (economic, politic, art….). It’s less less less representative of german, french, italian…..points of view. I don’t think a part english the other languages are really active.
Damian   Monday, June 21, 2004, 13:55 GMT
Mick:

I have tried to rack my brains but I cannae place the pub you mention...there are so many in the city and a lot of them have all sorts of stuff hanging from ceilings or stuck on walls and stuff. Part of the character of some of the really old city centre pubs and bars especially in the oldest part of Edinburgh called (would you believe?) the Old Town. How original an you get! Actually, in local speak...Auld Toon. Did you go and see the grave of one of our dearest former residents....the wee dog the Greyfriars Bobby? I have often placed a flower on his grave and said a wee prayer.

Sean Connery /So:n /Con^ri: Bullshit? I will never look at that guy in the same way again! :-) I saw him once in Rose Street...he is much taller than I imagined, but there again..I am just 1,54m myself :-(
nic   Monday, June 21, 2004, 14:08 GMT
Damian,

I am actually at work, i will ask the name to my wife, she's scottish.

Yes Connery in french pronouciation look like connerie, if you say in french.

Hola, j'ai fait une connerie = ooops i made a mystake.

or

Arrête de raconter des conneries! = stop saying bullshits
Paul   Monday, June 21, 2004, 14:27 GMT
Writing on to a paper media, has lasted thosands of years.
We have literature written 2,000 years ago.

A Computer Disk Drive last just 5 years on average.
Better technology is required, and is evolving.

In the sense that it complements and re-inforces writing,
Technology will ensure that the best of our culture and knowledge will
be preserved for next generation. But we need to filter out all the
extraneous static and trashy literature. Editors will be the saviours
of our culture.

Literacy is the sin quo son quon of our culture.

Reegards, Paul V.
Damian   Monday, June 21, 2004, 23:38 GMT
Nic:

Interesting stuff......Sean Bullshit! hee hee Don't think it will appear in the film credits though.

I am sorry I addressed the post to Mick instead of to you.....I misread in my haste to go off to work. Apologies to both of you.
Migh Mick   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 08:12 GMT
Paul,
Actually what I was getting at by "diffusion technology" was mass publication thanks to the printing press invented 554 years ago.
http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/story039.htm

A disk drive may only last 5 years, and a CD only 15 years, but even 5 years is a long time for technology. e.g. at home you might change/upgrade a CPU twice in that time.
Migh Mick   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 08:16 GMT
Nic,
"You couldn't do that 200 years ago." refers to being able to record your voice to a medium like a DAT tape today. My point being you don't have to rely on people and human error anymore so there is less possibility for inaccuracies.

Sure most of the Internet is in English and most people want a piece of American culture. But what else would Internet users expect of the lingua franca which contributed to most of its creation? That doesn't mean there aren't sufficient French language resources to represent most facets of its culture. There's plenty of interest and obligations to keep French on the Internet. But most people prefer to get their news and entertainment from TV and radio in their own language anyway.
nic   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 09:00 GMT
I understand what you mean, and of course there are some French, Portuguese, german, Italian …. stuff on internet. But when you compare to English, it’s nothing. It’s like an iceberg. Internet has been created by Americans U.S. And of course it’s logic documents are written in English. So it contributes to promote more and more English in the world.

At list, when you talk about DAT savings or everything which help to save voices, pronunciation. Yes, good! But which one to save. I mean which pronunciation? French form south, north, south east, north east, from a city, Quebec, Congo…. The same with of course other languages.
It’s like when you learn English at school, you learn it with a neutral accent, when you listen a Scottish, an irish, an English from the north, an American U.S….. You realize there is a lot of work to do again.
Migh Mick   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 10:11 GMT
"stuff on internet. But when you compare to English, it’s nothing."
Well that's life... that's just the way it is. If the French language happened to win over the English people (it almost did), Americans would be speaking French!

"Yes, good! But which one to save. I mean which pronunciation?"
They're all recorded and kept. Instructional courses are recorded in all different languages. All French movies filmed decades ago retain the same soundtracks of French accents. Interview recordedings of Edith Piaff, Coluche, Francis Cabrel retain their titi-Parisien, southern accents, etc... Jean Chretien and his funny Canadian French accent... It's all there!

Just listen to this imbecile Jean Claude Van Damme make an ass of himself. He loves to talk about himself, awareness and waves... radio waves. "maintenant on fait des films... on les envoie par ondes ... par waves ... par radio waves". LOL muahahaha

http://vandame.free.fr/sons/awareII.mp3
http://jeanclaudevandamme.free.fr/sons/ardidamme.mp3
http://jeanclaudevandamme.free.fr/ptitscarabee.html

PS: list (short vowel) - at *least (long vowel)
nic   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 10:29 GMT
J C Van Dame is belgian not french
Migh Mick   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 10:30 GMT
I know
nic   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 11:34 GMT
Yes but..............

Movies are art, is art a reality?
Axel   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 11:43 GMT
Well, it seems not really!