Foreigners in England/France

Amy   Monday, April 19, 2004, 03:03 GMT
Nic: Dennis only said Asians in general, but I'll take your word for it that he meant the Chinese.

Lavoisel: Great, because I can't wait to go back to France. And that's fine, I'm not afriad of being honest.
anthony   Sunday, April 25, 2004, 01:47 GMT
I am Chinese and I want to live in France and learn the language but I am afraid that French people are racist and will hate me just because I am Chinese is that true? Do the French hate Chinese people?
Willy   Sunday, April 25, 2004, 06:02 GMT
Let me explain to you this.

French is not considered to be so easy for learning. I think hard languages
are "English, French, German, Norse, Dutch, and perhaps other languages
I've never tried to learn.

I don't know if they are racist. Chinese have their characteristics.

I know Spain is not better than French for its economics, but its language is pretty easier. I think it is considered to be one of the few easiest languages.
Willy   Sunday, April 25, 2004, 07:35 GMT
If you don't like France, go to Spain to see you will be easily understood if you would learn Spanish.
Axel   Sunday, April 25, 2004, 07:49 GMT
No the French do not hate the chinese. Of course there are stupid people here like everywhere, but the main part of te population is not racist because, as I explained before, most have foreign roots.
Spain has not a very goog economy it is true, but it is going day after day. I happen to know the unemployement is nowadays at 12% while it was about 20% ten years ago. The GDP per capita in Spain now represents 80% of the european average, so you guess the things are going better.
It is strange cause I am speaking French and Spanish appears really hard to me despite of the fact French and Spanish are very closed, while English is quite simple, and most people I know think it is one of the easiest language! (Of course I don't say I am that good in English! In fact I don't often speak English but I can read and understand it very well)
Axel   Sunday, April 25, 2004, 07:51 GMT
correction:

it is going "better" day after day
okota   Sunday, April 25, 2004, 09:48 GMT
to anthony,

don't be afraid, chinese are welcome in france, they're well perceived because they work hard and are very respectful. On the other hand a lot of french can't stand the arab people and the africans because they cause riots in the suburbs and want to impone their religion. Anthony, don't be afraid of the french, in france the danger comes from those arab and african people. i know what i say, i'm a japanese living in france for more than 10 years and i suffered some agressions from those guys.
nic   Monday, April 26, 2004, 07:42 GMT
Anyway chinese don't have to be afraid, as said Okota that's true there is racism against north africans especially. Racism is everywhere and it's not a specifity of french people itself (indians in England, Black people in USA, black people in Italy, North african in Spain etc)
end of the subject

Spanish easier? I really don’t think, I learned Spanish at school and it’s a very difficult language (irregular verbs are everywhere in Spanish), but it's a beautifull language.

As a french speaker, I think the easiest for us is the Italian. But i don’t know for an English native speaker.
Adam   Monday, April 26, 2004, 10:42 GMT
And Algerians in France. Or indeed, ANY foreigners in France.
Adam   Monday, April 26, 2004, 10:45 GMT
I think Italian is easier to learn for any person who speaks a European language. It is one of the easiest European languages to learn. Eglish is one of the most difficult, and Italians will find it far more difficult to learn English than any Brit who wants to learn Italian.
nic   Monday, April 26, 2004, 11:41 GMT
Adam,

There's not only racism against algerians in France but as i said, it's against North african people which includes Algerians but Tunisians and ppl form Morocco two.

I don't think italian is easy for english, because if you think french is difficult, italian cannot be easier because of two reasons :

1st french and italian are grammaticaly the closest languages, it's in fact the closest latin languages
At 2nd, the pronunciation is far far away from english, at leat an english native speaker will have a lot of work to speak with an italian accent.

You said : "I think Italian is easier to learn for any person who speaks a European language."

Italian can be easier (not easy) for some nationalities but not for all europeans, a german (i suppose) won't have the same difficulties to learn dutsh but what about italian?

There are masculin and feminine genders you don't know if you are an english speaker. I am not talking about the construction which is absolutly different from english.

If you compare for example an english and an italian who speak french, you will observe the italian speak faster and much better the french in comparison of an english bla bla bla.
Personnally i had more difficulties to learn spanish than english which is not really difficult.
nic   Monday, April 26, 2004, 11:46 GMT
Adam,

You seem to know many things about France but can you answer my questions :

Were have been invented the squinheads, France or England?

Were have been invented Concentration camps? It has been invented before the 2nd world and it was not the germans. So was some french people or some......british people.

Before you speak about history, you should learn a little bet more about your onwn country.

For all english who are there, i have respect for all the people and just want to reach a few things to Adam, that kinf of boy oyu can find everywhere in England,France or somewhere else.
Katleen   Monday, April 26, 2004, 12:02 GMT
1 point for Nic i am afraid
Simon   Monday, April 26, 2004, 12:23 GMT
Well, the skinheads weren't really invented. They were a natural conclusion of or response to other movements. And they weren't all "bad" - It was often a case of having a certain style of clothes rather than adopting a certain attitude. And of course, part of the inspiration came from the clean shaven headed caribbean men etc. ie. through an interest in things beyond their immediate horizon.
Nic   Monday, April 26, 2004, 12:51 GMT
We had a discussion about them didn't we Simon?
May be you have your own point of view, but i am talking about the skinheads who are having the nazi cross on their clothes. Personnally when i see that, i can't think these guys look interesting, nice.... I think about all the people who have been persecuted and can't understand why some guys are able to think like that.
If it's in rebellion spirit, i prefer the punk movement which seems more friendly, even some of them are not. They do not (usually) wear any nazi cross on their clothes, it's most of the time the Anarchy "A".