Babel

General_Ricardo   Thursday, May 27, 2004, 20:22 GMT
Juan,
"it's your funeral", what's that mean?
Jim   Thursday, May 27, 2004, 23:43 GMT
He mean's that I've made a grave mistake but it's my problem not his. I could say the same for his believing such a story.
Juan   Friday, May 28, 2004, 00:25 GMT
It's not a "story", it's historical fact. Deal with it.
Paul M   Friday, May 28, 2004, 00:37 GMT
Man this is never going to be an objectionable and scientific debate..is it.

I heard that there are evidences of the existence of one original language that the all other langues may have come from. For example, very similar common word for same things across completly different languages is one, but as I only watched one or two videos about it, I can't tell you exactly how or what :)

I think the linguists themselves are splitt when it comes to this topic though as it is not easy to 'prove' something to certainty whether it's true or not.

I'll be honest with you. I don't think it's that important, but I'm convinced that there was indeed one common language before everyone started spead out.
Jim   Friday, May 28, 2004, 00:42 GMT
To call something a "story" is not to deny that it be true. You've heard the expression "true story", I suppose, this is no oxymoron. "Deal with it." you write; the way I deal with the Babel story is not to consider it to be any kind of fact. I could be wrong but my conclusions are based on what I see and hear all around me not simply restricted to what I happen to read in some book. Let's discuss the factuality of this story elsewhere.
Jim   Friday, May 28, 2004, 00:44 GMT
I'm calling fundamentalists nutters.
Jim   Friday, May 28, 2004, 01:44 GMT
If it's going to be scientific I won't find it objectionable.

The linguists may be divided as to whether or not there was one common language in the distant past but those who say that there was would give a natural cause for its splitting up. As people migrated groups became isolated from one another and language evolved differently for each different group. There is a simple scientific explanation: we don't need the Babel myth.
mike   Friday, May 28, 2004, 10:48 GMT
It's not a myth but a story. The Bible appeals to us through stories. What we will do with the stories is entirely up to us. But I'd like to remind you that the Bible is not about knowing but believing. Thus any arguments as for the Bible and its stories are completely futile. Stop arguing. I believe, others don't. That's the way it is.
paul M   Friday, May 28, 2004, 11:12 GMT
yeah I agree with you mike
let's just all agree that we disagree :)
Juan   Friday, May 28, 2004, 12:03 GMT
<<I ain't here to argue about his facial features
Or here to convert atheists into believers
I'm just trying to say the way school need teachers
The way Kathie Lee needed Regis that's the way yall need Jesus>>

Kanye West

His debut album, The College Dropout, is out now. Get it, it's very good.
Might Mick   Friday, May 28, 2004, 13:39 GMT
Just like people once upon a time believed in the stories of what we now call "Greek mythology". Yet it does have scholastic value like the Bible.

Just like some people today believe the earth is flat. (mostly in 3rd world countries)

It's all about believing, not knowing... you're so right. But to stop arguing is unconstructive.
Sanchez   Saturday, May 29, 2004, 22:59 GMT
Might Mick,

Yes, I agree with yur distinction between the belief and knowledge. Only the ignorant believe.
Juan   Saturday, May 29, 2004, 23:38 GMT
I think most people would know by know that the world isn't flat. Unless you are removed from the modern world like say a tribe in Indonesia which have very little contact with outside modern world. But most would, I would have thought.

That shite is getting old about being ignorant and what not. The US was founded in Christianity so I don't know why everyone now deems it is ok to attack and demean it. I don't hear anyone being overly critical of buddism, islam and other religions.
Paul M   Sunday, May 30, 2004, 05:11 GMT
Arguing is never constructive, on the other hand, debating is.
So let's not stop debating in a calm and open minded manner, and the first step to do that is by agreeing that we all disagree. D'you Agree?
Paul M   Sunday, May 30, 2004, 05:15 GMT
Mick, are you saying that it's a knowledgable fact that there was no one common language back in the days?
It's all about certain degree of beliefs and discovering things out with hard evidences.