Babel

Chloe O   Monday, May 31, 2004, 10:53 GMT
What is Occam's razor?
Damian   Monday, May 31, 2004, 17:25 GMT
Good on ya, Jim, mate.....this forum is all about LANGUAGE and related topics and not politics, religion and other irrelevant things. I do love the thread on American English v The Rest.

PS: I have to say this though....I agree with your sentiments in your first and second posts above. Shining example? Like the curate's egg..good in parts, aye.
Stephen Daedalus   Monday, May 31, 2004, 20:21 GMT
Ockham's razor (also Occam's razor) - A rule in science and philosophy stating that entities should not be multiplied needlessly. This rule is interpreted to mean that the simplest of two or more competing theories is preferable and that an explanation for unknown phenomena should first be attempted in terms of what is already known. Also called law of parsimony.
Jim   Thursday, June 03, 2004, 05:17 GMT
Yeah, let's stick to language. I'm sorry if I let myself reply to the off-topic comments made by certain people on this thread.
Juan   Thursday, June 03, 2004, 09:28 GMT
That "certain people" you are referring to would be, I presume. I just couldn't let those little snippy little remarks about Christianity go by without comment. Yeah, like you said Jim stick to the topic at hand without feeling the need to take pot shots at other people's beliefs. Thank you, that would be very much appreciated if you did what exaclty what you preach.
Jim   Thursday, June 03, 2004, 23:38 GMT
So I shall. Sorry for getting off topic. I'll be letting any little snippy little remarks go by without comment in future. I'm not about to mention names nor do I want to get into a "Who started it?" debate. All that would be off-topic. Got to Europa II if you want to get off-topic.
Juan   Sunday, June 06, 2004, 22:10 GMT
Ok. Ditto
Paul   Monday, June 07, 2004, 05:11 GMT
I believe that the story of Babel is valuable as an allegory or a fable, in which there is a inherent truth.
It expresses the fact, that mankind is constantly in a state of dissent and change, and it it would be foolish to expect that in that turmoil and in an ever changing and expanding universe, that the language which we describe our world would remain constant.

The only languages that have remain constant over long periods of change in the world are dead languages. (i.e. Latin, Sanskrit, Hebrew, etc. )

Regards, Paul V.
Konrad Valentin   Monday, June 07, 2004, 18:00 GMT
I agree. Languages which remain static die. Vive la difference!
Juan   Tuesday, June 08, 2004, 07:25 GMT
<< little snippy little remarks>>

Oh, look Jim made the same mistake I committed. How cute.
Juan   Tuesday, June 08, 2004, 23:26 GMT
Or was it intentional?
Jim   Wednesday, June 09, 2004, 01:38 GMT
Indeed ... I'll leave you guessing ...
Juan   Wednesday, June 09, 2004, 02:23 GMT
Nah, I already know you did it to spite me. How rude!
Jim   Wednesday, June 09, 2004, 02:31 GMT
No, not spite ... just light-hearted fun.