'Data' pronunciation

Frank   Tuesday, June 01, 2004, 07:00 GMT
I usually pronounce the first vowel as the 'a' in 'cat'. However, a lot of people say /ei/.
How do you, other Americans, say this word?
What about non-American people?
mjd   Tuesday, June 01, 2004, 07:47 GMT
Here in the U.S. you hear both. I myself use the "ei" pronunciation (as in the word "day").
Damian   Tuesday, June 01, 2004, 10:20 GMT
In UK practically universally it is: d-ei-ta like mjd's preference. I've never heard it pronounced the other way but I haven't been around and about that much
Damian   Tuesday, June 01, 2004, 10:21 GMT
In UK practically universally it is: d-ei-ta like mjd's preference. I've never heard it pronounced the other way but I haven't been around and about that much
T   Tuesday, June 01, 2004, 10:58 GMT
Anybody pronounce it as ['da: t..]?
peanutter   Wednesday, June 02, 2004, 02:27 GMT
Uh, sorry I don't know how to write it using the linguistic symbols like you guys, but in New Zealand I have heard it pronounced "DARTA".
Damian   Wednesday, June 02, 2004, 10:58 GMT
However it's properly pronounced, it's easier than saying statistics. How about statistician? I'm so glad I'm not one of those and have to tell people what I do.
kim   Wednesday, June 02, 2004, 11:18 GMT
why don't you look up a dictionary?

the more people learn and use english,
the more pronounciations vary.

in case like this, generally, we need to standarize the diversity of the pronounciations.

however, when english speakers around you pronounce and understand 'data' as [da:ta], you'd better follow that.
when english speakers around you pronunce and understand 'data' as [deita], you'd better follow that.
Pitt   Wednesday, June 02, 2004, 19:30 GMT
Recently I've heard the pronunciation of "data" in one of the BBC News. It was pronounced: "deita" as in the word "day" - dei.
Damian   Wednesday, June 02, 2004, 20:21 GMT
Pitt: just as I said in my previous posting. "d-ei-ta". The usual UK pronunciation
Cathy "newbie"   Wednesday, June 02, 2004, 22:58 GMT
Here is Oz it varies also. Sometimes it's "dar-ta" and other times it's "day-ta" (just like the android in star trek). Often those of us in the computer industry pick up terms from America and pronounce the American way to save confusion too. Like Routers, in America it's pronounced "row-ters" but in Australia, it would be pronounced "root-ers" of course this could lead to a rather embarrassing misunderstanding when dealing internationally, so those of use using routers just pronounce it the American way so save confusion :D

Cathy
Jim   Wednesday, June 02, 2004, 23:51 GMT
Peanutter says "DARTA" and since (s)he's a New Zealander (with a non-rhotic accent) that means /'da: t../. This is how we Aussies pronounce it too ... mostly.

"why don't you look up a dictionary?" Kim asks. Dictionaries don't tell the whole story. Many of them only list American pronunciations. Others Recieved Pronunciation along with General American. Not too many bother with Aussie, Kiwi, Scottish, Newfie, etc.

"in case like this," writes Kim "... generally, we need to standarize the diversity of the pronounciations." Why? I say /da:t../, always have and always shall. I'll be teaching any of my kids /da:t../ not /deit../. If an ESL student asks me I'll tell them /da:t../ with a mention that some say /deit../. Viva das diversity.
Paul   Tuesday, June 08, 2004, 18:28 GMT
I've heard both in Canada.
But it wasn't that commonly used until recently so maybe people were just pronoucing the way it was spelt.

Regards, Paul V
Rob   Wednesday, June 09, 2004, 20:41 GMT
In the USA it is typically "dayta" within the IT community and "dahta" outside.
Damian   Wednesday, June 09, 2004, 21:21 GMT
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz