Camundongo   Friday, January 14, 2005, 22:54 GMT
Noo Yawk Tawk:

Florida /flahrida/
foreingers /fahreignas/
orange /ahrange/
forrest /fahrest/
dog /dawg/

:)

WHADSA madda wid da way Noo Yawkers tawk? Nuttin', brudda, 'cept dat dey wud beda foist to tell you dat dey tawk wid a unique accent.

http://newmedia.jrn.columbia.edu/2003/issue3/story5/
chris   Tuesday, January 18, 2005, 15:12 GMT
Ok, If I a
Chris   Tuesday, January 18, 2005, 15:15 GMT
Hi guys, I ve read all your posts and they are all very interesting, I am not an English native speaker so if I wanted to speak with a new yorker accent, what tips should I follow?? what sitcoms should I watch aside of the kig of queens which by the way I watch from time to time but I had no idea they spoke with a NY accent until you told me.
Ed   Tuesday, January 18, 2005, 15:52 GMT
You can watch The Nanny (the nanny and her mother have a NYC accent), Joey on Friends, or his new sitcom Joey (Joey and his sister), Everybody Loves Raymond (Raymond, Robert, and Marie).
TViewer   Tuesday, January 18, 2005, 23:30 GMT
Paul Reiser (Paul Buchman) [in MAD ABOUT YOU ]has a very strong NYC accent (this is a nice show with GeneralAmerican-(non)accented Helen Hunt!)

And, of course SEINFELD (there are many actors using NYC accent !!!)
Kramer   Wednesday, January 19, 2005, 06:31 GMT
Isn't George Costanza (Jason Alexander) and his family on Seinfeld the only ones who have a New York accent? Only they seem to have non-rhotic accents maybe because they're so eccentric.
Ben   Wednesday, January 19, 2005, 14:38 GMT
Jerry Seinfeld has only a very mild trace of a New York/Long Island Accent. Neither Michael Richards nor Julia Louis-Dreyfus are actually from New York, so they don't have an accent. George Costanza, however, has a very strong Jewish New York, accent, as well as his parents.

Incidentally, Matt LeBlanc (Joey from friends) is actually from the Boston area, although I do think he tries to affect a New York accent as the character.
Adam L.   Thursday, January 20, 2005, 00:29 GMT
Many celebrities originally from the northeast masquerade in the "standard" American accent, such as Tom Cruise, Mark Wahlberg, Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien, Matt Damon, Uma Thurman, Jimmy Kimmel, John Travolta, Christian Slater, and so on. It is pitiful.
Ed   Thursday, January 20, 2005, 03:02 GMT
Why is it pityful? I, for one, don't think that New York accent sounds very intellingent.
Joe   Thursday, January 20, 2005, 03:06 GMT
The New York accent is the accent of intellectuals.
CAccent   Thursday, January 20, 2005, 03:13 GMT
NYC accent is horrible!!!!

Oh, they say HAHRRIBLE :p

Oh my Gawd!
Chris   Thursday, January 20, 2005, 13:24 GMT
So, you dont recommend that I pick up this accent? I like it, but I dont know exactly what speaking like them would mean to the majortiy of English speakers. Could someone tell me?

Thanks for the tips, I watch some of the sitcoms and I ll pay attention to their speaking next time I watch TV. Any other sitcoms or characters??
Ed   Thursday, January 20, 2005, 14:02 GMT
Why should you pick up any accent? Learn speaking General American accent.
Adam L.   Thursday, January 20, 2005, 18:27 GMT
I beg to differ. Just listen to someone such as Christopher Walken talk as opposed to anybody speaking in the ditzy west-coast American dialect. Walken's talk is far more pleasing to listen to.
898callforMandy   Thursday, January 20, 2005, 20:43 GMT
but NYC accent is often seen as a low-class accent..
most of middle & upper-class NewYorkers have a Gerneral American Accent, not a NYC accent