New York Accent

Adam L.   Friday, January 21, 2005, 01:07 GMT
The only American dialect that I have associated with an impoverished background is the southern one. I don't at all view the New York accent as low-class. It is probably one of the more stylish and classy dialects heard in America. Can you imagine the cast of films such as Goodfellas speaking standard American English? It would sound corny.
american nic   Friday, January 21, 2005, 01:50 GMT
I don't know about most other people, but I like the NYC accent. It sounds down to Earth, not unintelligent or impoverished. I only think of the Southern accent (same as Adam L.) that way.
Johan   Friday, January 21, 2005, 13:36 GMT
I ve seen Americans around the US love to ridicule the NY accent
Joanne   Friday, January 21, 2005, 13:42 GMT
Everyone loves to ridicule all accents except their own. I make fun of accents that are within my own state, New Jersey, and I find the Boston accent eardrum-shatteringly horrible.
Adam L.   Friday, January 21, 2005, 15:50 GMT
Black Americans love to ridicule the Standard American accent by adding exaggerating words like "gangsterr" and "motherr".
Chris   Monday, January 24, 2005, 13:59 GMT
So which is the best accent in the US?
Joanne   Monday, January 24, 2005, 16:07 GMT
<<Black Americans love to ridicule the Standard American accent by adding exaggerating words like "gangsterr" and "motherr".>>

I think Eddie Griffin does the best "whitey" impression in "Undercover Brother," although Dave Chappelle comes a close second.
Jay   Wednesday, January 26, 2005, 05:52 GMT
I am a native English speaker, and I grew up for a while in upstate New York. Currently I am researching a role for a production in which I play a Jewish art historian from Cornell University. Although my years in New York are behind me, I remember how I used to sound before I moved away, and how my friends and neighbors sounded; however, I need to find some resources that will help me to build my accent the correct way. I'm wondering if there is anyone who has any background or experience with this sort of thing, and if they could give me a tip as to where I could look.

Thanks a lot.
Ed   Wednesday, January 26, 2005, 22:08 GMT
Upstate NY accent is different, though.
Rod   Thursday, January 27, 2005, 19:11 GMT
Does it sound more educated?
Rodrigo   Thursday, January 27, 2005, 19:15 GMT
Is there any famous people that keep this accent?'
New Yorker   Saturday, January 29, 2005, 18:05 GMT
heya im a new yorka
Joanne   Saturday, January 29, 2005, 20:12 GMT
Jennifer Lopez, Marc Anthony, Barbra Streisand, Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, James Caan, Martin Scorsese, P. Diddy, Lucy Liu, Armand Assante, Rosie O'Donnell, Woody Allen, John Leguizamo, Eddie Murphy, Whoopi Goldberg, Chris Rock, Joan Rivers
Chris   Monday, January 31, 2005, 19:21 GMT
Hi New yorka!
Can you teach me how to speak like you?? :)
David   Thursday, February 03, 2005, 23:38 GMT
Hey, I really need help. I'm in the theatre production where I'm supposed to use a New York accent. I've never used one before, and I can't figure out how. Do any of you know its "rules"?