Vixens and Bitches

Xatufan   Wednesday, January 05, 2005, 23:43 GMT
What's the difference between a bitch and a vixen (in a pejorative sense)? Which word is stronger?
Bob   Thursday, January 06, 2005, 00:24 GMT
The term "vixen" is hardly ever used in the pejorative sense anymore -- unless you're a feminazi who objects to such "sexist" terminology. Usually the word is used in a winking, tongue-in-cheek manner to describe a sexy, attractive, crafty and (sometimes) amoral woman, especially one who exudes power and sexual prowess. Think of Madonna or "Alexis Carrington" or that "Edie" character on "Desperate Housewives".

"Bitch" is a term you don't ever want to use around a respectable lady. So, I would say this is definitely the stronger word.
american nic   Thursday, January 06, 2005, 00:36 GMT
I must be too young because vixen just means a female fox (though in the 70s I suppose the would've called women foxxy, with the same effect)...bitch on the other hand is a huge negative, to the point that it's almost impossible to use in an 'innocent' sense without smirks. It can be a negative to a woman, or also a negative if a man is called it in that he is essentially being called gay, or queer.
Ed   Thursday, January 06, 2005, 02:38 GMT
<<Think of Madonna or "Alexis Carrington" or that "Edie" character on "Desperate Housewives". >>

I think Madonna is the ultimate definition of biatch :-/
Damian   Thursday, January 06, 2005, 16:06 GMT
I really loathe the word "bitch"...I don't even like to use it in it's legitimate sense, preferring to use the term "female dog" even though it takes more effort verbally. The other word even sounds nasty.

It's quite usual to call a male who has "misbehaved" a "dog" but strangely enough, that does not sound all that pejorative...in fact, it's sometimes taken as a badge of (dis)honour! But "b***h" is just something else, so I never use it (even when truly provoked...) ;-)
Ed   Thursday, January 06, 2005, 19:33 GMT
Damina, use "biatch" instead of "bitch" :-P
Emma   Friday, January 07, 2005, 19:23 GMT
I don't know if "bitch" is even that offensive anymore. As a woman, I'd be more upset to be called a "dog", which denotes an unattractive women of questionable personal hygience, vis "oh that Sharon - she's a right dog". As a pejorative word, "bitch" has become pretty limp, I think - certainly no worse than "cow", anyway. "Vixen", I don't think of as being offensive at all, really.
Tiffany   Friday, January 07, 2005, 19:42 GMT
Are you British, Emma? In America, bitch still carries a very bad meaning. To be called a "motherfucking bitch" (umm, really, I am not purposely trying to swear) would be the height of offensive for me. In fact, depending on tone, I might run, thinking the person might want to hurt me.
Emma   Friday, January 07, 2005, 20:05 GMT
Well, OK: I might run too, but only because "motherfucking bitch" sounds quite agressive. It's clearly meant in a pejorative sense, but I still wouldn't find it offensive, exactly. If I hear someone describe someone else as a "bitch", I realise that the describer doesn't hold a very high opinion of the describee. To me, a bitch is someone who is callous or mean; someone who treats others badly. It's a strong word but not a particularly demeaning one, unlike "slut" for example.
Ed   Friday, January 07, 2005, 20:42 GMT
I always thought that slut and whore were less offensive than bitch because in America the first 2 words can be said freely on TV but bitch can't - you always hear the bleep sound.
Emma   Friday, January 07, 2005, 20:50 GMT
None of those words would be censored on TV over here, I don't think. In the UK at least, 'slut' is used to mean 'unclean', both literally and metaphorically in the sense of being sexually promiscuous. 'Whore' - well, I'm sure that means the same thing in the States! I would be more offended by either of those words because they seem more personal and derogatory. This might be a personal interpretation, though.
Emma   Friday, January 07, 2005, 20:55 GMT
two 'personal's! But you know what I mean.
Tiffany   Friday, January 07, 2005, 21:53 GMT
"I always thought that slut and whore were less offensive than bitch because in America the first 2 words can be said freely on TV but bitch can't - you always hear the bleep sound. "

Ed - they are just as offensive to me. If someone where to make a string of insults against a woman here in the US, I'm pretty sure all those words would be present. You are obviously saying those words to hurt someone, no matter if they are true or not.
Damian   Friday, January 07, 2005, 22:50 GMT
I am sorry, but if there is one seemingly common American word I detest it is the one mentioned above, beginning with "mother".

<< but only because "mother******* bitch" sounds quite aggressive>>

To me it is the ultimate in something that sounds truly disgusting and aggressively offensive to use in connection with any mother. Maybe I am being uncharacteristically prudish here (I honestly am not normally) but that word to me is just off limits! ;-( I have heard it so often in American films. A close second comes "son of a b****".

Maybe someone could explain to me if I am off beam here and there is really an inoffensive meaning to these terms, but I really cannae see how there could be.
Tiffany   Saturday, January 08, 2005, 00:01 GMT
It's as offensive as you think Damian.