How is this question framed? (rather slickly)

Travis   Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 22:11 GMT
I mean, "without changing much of the word order" above.
Deborah   Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 22:14 GMT
Travis, would you then care to guess which language it is?
Nia   Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 22:27 GMT
How about, "Which child of his are you?" or "What's your birth order?" or "Where do you come in in the family mix?"
Travis   Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 22:35 GMT
Deborah, I really don't have enough information in this case to make a sufficient stab at it, besides the overall word order, and some potential agglutination.
Deborah   Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 23:03 GMT
I think Nia's "What's your birth order" works. Even though it seems that "birth order" should refer to all the siblings, that term (or "order of birth") does seem to be used to refer to only one child, in lots of psychology-related hits I got in a google search.
Deborah   Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 23:39 GMT
I told one of my co-workers about the question posed by Glotal, and he said that Esperanto has a word that could be translated as "howmanyeth". But unless Glotal's parents always spoke Esperanto, I don't think it can count as a native language.
Easterner   Wednesday, April 13, 2005, 18:12 GMT
Hungarian , being a fairly synthetic language, also has a word, "hányadik", that could be translated exactly as "howmanyeth" (maybe this is Glotal's language, too?). I can't think of any Indo-European language I am familiar with where you could put this question like this (except perhaps some Slavic ones, but even there it would sound somewhat differently). I would render the sentence in question into English as "How many children/kids did your mother/parents have before you?". The only verb I can think of that you could use with "father" is "beget", but first, it is old-fashioned, and second, som may consider it immodest. I also like the renderings of Joanne and Travis. I'm afraid we can't make it shorter than 9 words in English. :)
Easterner   Wednesday, April 13, 2005, 18:16 GMT
Sorry, make it "some".
andre in south africa   Wednesday, April 13, 2005, 18:22 GMT
In Afrikaans we have the word hoeveelste which can be translate as howmanyeth - how many = hoeveel
Deborah   Wednesday, April 13, 2005, 18:38 GMT
Andre,

How, then, would you ask the question in Afrikaans?
andre in south africa   Wednesday, April 13, 2005, 19:41 GMT
hoeveelste kind is jy?
Jo   Wednesday, April 13, 2005, 20:53 GMT
In German: wie vielste?
Travis   Wednesday, April 13, 2005, 21:00 GMT
I don't think that you can really say "wie vielste" in German, as "wie" and "viel" are two seperate words in German, even though you will see the two written together as simply "wieviel", and "vielste" would mean something like "many-th", which alone does not really make much sense. Well, at least "vielste" doesn't show up in the Webwörterbuch which I'm using, that is, http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/
Deborah   Wednesday, April 13, 2005, 21:14 GMT
Well, "Hoeveelste kind is ju" is certainly succinct. I think we need "howmanyeth" in English. My co-worker's suggestion for how to ask the question in English was to ask "Are you the oldest" and hope the person is forthcoming.
andre in south africa   Wednesday, April 13, 2005, 21:18 GMT
Deborah
and the answer to that can simply be "no" :)