How is this question framed? (rather slickly)

Deobrah   Wednesday, April 13, 2005, 21:21 GMT
Hence the word "hope".
andre in south africa   Wednesday, April 13, 2005, 21:25 GMT
yeh which just goes to show all languages have their strong points and their drawbacks ;)
andre in south africa   Wednesday, April 13, 2005, 21:29 GMT
using afrikaans and english every day of my life I realize that that there are certain things that can just be better said in afrikaans than in english and vice versa the same applies to all other languages
Easterner   Thursday, April 14, 2005, 04:27 GMT
Oh yes, I forgot Afrikaans/Dutch has many untypical interrogatives. :) But I doubt think Germans say "wievielste". The question can be put in German in quite the same way as in English: "Wieviel deiner Geschwister wurden vor dir geboren?".
Easterner   Thursday, April 14, 2005, 04:32 GMT
I might be wrong. I performed a random Google search and found quite a lot of samples using "wievielste" or "wievielster". The examples are mostly colloquial though, I don't know how standard that form is, and if it is acceptable in non-colloquial usage. But anyway, Germans do use "wievielste", although I have never used it myself (but then, I'm not German either).
Travis   Thursday, April 14, 2005, 05:55 GMT
Yeah, German dialects do vary quite a bit from standard Hochdeutsch, which is the only sort of German which I myself have much knowledge of, expressions such as "moin", "Tach" (standard Hochdeutsch "Tag"), and "bis später" (formally "auf Wiedersehen") aside. I myself haven't used "wievielste", but its use isn't /that/ surprising, all things considered.