Favourite English Name

Deborah   Monday, April 18, 2005, 21:55 GMT
I like Jennifer, even if it is greatly overused.

I also like Garrett, Gareth and Damian, even though the last brings up the image of the devil's spawn. (I'm referring to the movie "The Omen", of course!)
Travis   Monday, April 18, 2005, 22:00 GMT
I have to say I like the English name "Gretchen". </joking>
?   Monday, April 18, 2005, 23:13 GMT
Male:
Kipling or Kip
Barclay
Averill

Female:
Blythe
Ainslie
Enid
greg   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 07:51 GMT
I have to agree with Damian : Angus is indeed very nice. As for Lancelot, I didn't know it was English (or Scottish or British).

I'd follow Travis's steps and suggest Guenièvre.
Jordi   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 08:06 GMT
The Round Table was somewhere in Great Britain, of course and Lancelot probably spoke some form of Anglo-Saxon.
Someone   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 08:10 GMT
Female:
Bertha
Gertrude
Agnus
Interrobang   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 08:20 GMT
Lancelot (fictional Arthurian character) was from Less Britain and probably spoke a Breton language that resembled Welsh.

Favorite male name - Sebastian
Favorite female name - Lila
Deborah   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 08:47 GMT
Oh, yeah, Guinevere/Guenevere is a nice name, too. So's Morgan, come to think of it. I also like Gawain, but not Gaheris, Agravaine and Mordred. I think Agravaine sounds like a headache medication.
Adam   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 08:56 GMT
Sir Lancelot was a famous knight of Medieval England, but I think he was just a mythical character.

Anyway, how many English people these days are called Lancelot?

And I think Mordred is Welsh.
Adam   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 08:57 GMT
Mordred and Gawain are definetely Welsh. Agravaine sounds French.
Damian   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 10:57 GMT
<<the last brings up the image of the devil's spawn>>

DEBORAH:

Some people I know would say it applies in my case too...without a doubt a guy with devilish tendencies.......just jesting. Anyway I think I'm absolved from guilt....the other bloke was called Damien.....the "E" makes a world of difference.

I no longer take issue when my name is incorrectly spelt..absolutely no point as 8 times out of 10 I get DamiEn so why bother? I've had to have some official documents altered to the right spelling..what the heck's wrong with some people, are they blind or just stupid?

I fill in "Damian" on application forms or whatever, and I get "Damien" in return, so back it goes.

Maybe people think I really am a diabolical spawn.
Damian   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 11:15 GMT
<<The Round Table was somewhere in Great Britain, of course and Lancelot probably spoke some form of Anglo-Saxon.>>

Actually, nobody knows exactly where the legendary Camelot and King Arthur's Round Table was situated....many places in England have laid claim to its location (even, believe it or not Edinburgh which is most unlikely).

Most people think it was somewhere in the South West of England...in areas like Somerset, a favourite spot for Arthurian legend, with the mystical Glastonbury down there, now more well known for its fantastic rock festival each summer. Many people think Arthur had his Round Table at Tintagel Castle, now just a ruin on top of the rocky cliffs on the North Cornish coast.

I'd place a bet that Camelot was down there in wild and rugged Cornwall...but I am biased..I have a sort of "Cornish thing" going for me at the present time.

It's all a wonderful myth... the story of Arthur and the Round Table, Lancelot, Guinevere, the Holy Grail and all the courtly knights now preserved for posterity in romantic literature by great writers.
greg   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 11:33 GMT
Is <Lancelot> is reconstructed French form for a native Celtic name ? I've seen something approaching <Lanzlet> in German.
Adam   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 11:44 GMT
Also, many people think King Arthur was English, but he lived in Britain at the time the Anglo-Saxons arrived, and actually fought against the Anglo-Saxons when they invaded. So if Arthur was alive nowadays, I suppose he would be Welsh, cos in those days, the people who are now Welsh lived in what is now England.

Legend has it that Arthur was also born in Tintagel.

But, no-one knows whether King Arthur or the Round Table were real or fictional. They may never have existed.
Adam   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 11:49 GMT
LANCELOT
Usage: English, Welsh Mythology
Pronounced: LAN-se-laht [key]

Meaning unknown, possibly an Old French pet form of Lanzo (see LANCE). In Arthurian legend Lancelot was the bravest of the knights of the Round Table. He became the lover of Arthur's wife Guinevere.

http://www.behindthename.com/php/view.php?name=lancelot