Catalan language in danger?

greg   Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 07:08 GMT
Gui : may I ask you a favour ? Could you translate it into Occitan so I may grasp new things ?
Jordi   Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 07:49 GMT
You certainly did.Not a single mistake.
I, a Catalan, wrote a short message to Guilhèm in Occitan and he, an Occitan, answered politely back a short message in Catalan. As you can see the Standard are similar although you would find some remarkable differences in longer texts. All educated Catalan and Occitan speakers can read both languages with little training and a dictionary at hand once in a while.
Jordi   Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 07:55 GMT
I will do my best at Standard Occitan and Guilhèm will correct me:

Hola Jordi,
Moltes gràcies per les teves paraules amables i simpàtiques. Els teus missatges en aquest fòrum són sempre interessants de llegir.

Adieu Jordi,

Grand mercé per las teunas paraulas amablas e simpaticas. Los teus messatges en aquest forum son totjorn interessants de legir.

As you can see contemporary Occitan is slightly more "Gallic" and contemporary Catalan is slightly more "Iberian" although both languages are very close, and morphology (pronouns and specially verbal) and some of the syntax is also different.

Adieu, in Occitan, means both hello and goodbye
Po   Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 09:32 GMT
Mentre el nostre president va a París per donar suport a la llengua francesa, que segur que en necessita, els de la Catalunya Nord patim aquest potent Estat francès. Per a ell no existim. catalans? ¿El president del nostre país vol donar suport a la francofonia? ¿Pensa aconseguir que la tot potent França faci un gest pels catalans del Nord? No existim per als francesos.
greg   Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 09:54 GMT
Grand mercé, Jordi.

Po : tu veux dire que les Français ignorent le fait catalan dans les Pyrénées-Orientales ?
Joan   Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 15:41 GMT
Po : Déu nos en guard! With such friends there's no need for an enemy, nor with such defenders by the way.
Gui   Thursday, April 28, 2005, 06:10 GMT
<<Adieu Jordi,

Grand mercé per las teunas paraulas amablas e simpaticas. Los teus messatges en aquest forum son totjorn interessants de legir.>>

Plan bon, Jordi! Lo tieu traducion es excellent!

Here is my Toulousain translation:

Adiu Jordi,

Grandmercés (o mercés plan) per las tieunas paraulas amablas e simpaticas*. Los tieus messatges en aqueste fòrum son totjorn interessants de legir.

* o 'pels tieus mots amables e simpatics'
Jordi   Thursday, April 28, 2005, 06:33 GMT
Òc Guilhèm mai en tolosan pensi que "traduccion" es feminin coma per totas las autras lengas vesinas "la tieuna traduccion" doncas. ;-) Diptongacion amont o aval es gaireben la meteissa causa.
Podriám escriure aquò en una autra varianta occitana e las diferencias serián minimas.
Jordi   Thursday, April 28, 2005, 06:56 GMT
Actually, such as is taught in some southern American states, where the theory of evolution is considered a big lie against the bible, the first speaker of English was God the father himself who taught the language to the Angels, Satan and, of course, Adam and Eve and the speaking snake (sorry Adam). It wasn't Early English they "spake" it was Contemporary English.

Early English was an evolution and what we speak now is really an involution to earlier, more pure days. Some scholars agree God the father sounded like Humphrey Bogart whilst God the son sounded more like Michael Jackson in the famous quote "let the children come to me".

In Christ's time what actually happened (according to American Roman Catholics of course) is that God the father and God the son taught English to God the Holy Ghost. Mary had a somewhat cockney accent and had to be coached to say "the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain" by one of the apostles since her son was busy multiplying fishes and loaves of bread.

Pagans and gentiles who were converted to the faith after the discovery of America haven't learnt the language or speak it with a strong alien accent, according to Mormons in USA, who are convinced Christ lived somewhere in Utah and had several wives. Catholics are outraged because if Jesus hadn't been as pure as he was he would have been gay.

When the Americans discovered Europe, the only place where native English speakers were brought was a few islands of the northern continental West Flemish shore known as Greater England and Lesser Scotland, Wales, Ireland and Cornwall. The first American to set foot on English soil (a pilgrim father) was called Adam Poppy Day and his wife was a local tribeswoman called Camilla Pocahontas.Those islanders later evangelised Australia, New Zealand and South Africa in the 18th and 19th centuries. Nobody understands though was the New Zealanders now say "sex" for "six".

This is why the Great Vowel Involution (a return to the primitive English such as is still spoken by God in paradise) hasn't affected those lands and has only affected the Holy Land: America.

Long live America, the land of the free! From the mountains to the prairies and from the prairies to the sea...
Gui   Thursday, April 28, 2005, 07:43 GMT
<<Òc Guilhèm mai en tolosan pensi que "traduccion" es feminin coma per totas las autras lengas vesinas "la tieuna traduccion" doncas. ;-)>>

Boudou! Coma en francés, catalan, castilhan, italian, e autras lengas romanicas... Colhons! :-(
PeriodicodeCatalunya   Saturday, April 30, 2005, 10:02 GMT
Francès per decret reial
Un llibre documenta el veto de l'ús del català en actes notarials a partir del 1700 al Rosselló.
Quan no hi havia mitjans de comunicació de masses que reflectissin la vida quotidiana de les terres del Rosselló, les actes notarials recollien les petites i grans històries dels seus ciutadans. Tradicionalment els seus autors les escrivien en català o llatí, però l'any 1700 Lluís XIV va imposar que es redactessin en francès. D'aquesta manera, s'extirpava el català de la vida administrativa, tal com ara constata El manual de 1700 de Jaume Esteve, notari de Perpinyà, compilació que ha estat recollida per l'historiador i filòleg Joan Peytaví.
El Tractat dels Pirineus (1659- 1660) havia convertit el Rosselló, el Conflent i una part de la Cerdanya en territori francès. No obstant, els seus habitants seguien usant el català, per això van enviar una carta al monarca perquè reconsiderés la seva decisió. I no ho va fer, segons explica Peytaví en l'obra, presentada dijous a Perpinyà.
Canvi en un dia
"Vaig triar el notari Esteve per al llibre perquè era l'únic que parlava explícitament de l'ordre reial del 1700. El dia 3 de maig, automàticament, les actes es van deixar de fer en català i es va imposar el fran- cès", explica l'autor.
El volum reprodueix un "protocol" notarial, és a dir, totes les actes, escriptures o instruments elaborats per un notari durant un any, una important font d'informació per als historiadors. El manual de 1700 de Jaume Esteve compila 471 actes notarials que van des del desembre del 1699 fins al mateix mes del 1700. El president de la Fundació Noguera, que edita el llibre, Josep Maria Puig Salellas, va assegurar en la presentació que "la fundació pretén facilitar documentació als investigadors".
El manual de Peytaví revela els costums i les activitats i la situació econòmica dels habitants de Perpinyà d'aquella època. "M'ha agradat anar descobrint catalanismes o castellanismes en el francès que anava assimilant el notari Jaume Esteve. Per trobar un francès comprensible en les actes encara haurien de passar 30 o 40 anys després de la imposició del rei", recalca Peytaví.
greg   Saturday, April 30, 2005, 10:19 GMT
Interesting report, PeriodicodeCatalunya. The introduction of French in Northern Catalonia is quasi-contemporaneous with the Camisards war in Cévennes (1702-1704, principally).