South African English

!!   Monday, May 16, 2005, 00:57 GMT
Suff Ifrrrikins speak funny.
Snipsa   Monday, May 16, 2005, 05:58 GMT
Well we think that some other countries also speak funny ;)
As for the cricket - 5-0 white wash - You go guys!
I stayed up last night to finish watching it, just have to love those 20-over games!
andre in south africa   Monday, May 16, 2005, 06:35 GMT
Hm those quotes are funny

I posted it for two reasons.

1) I mentioned on another thread that it is possible that, over time, a new language may develop out of South African English. I think that list shows that the first steps had been taken.
2) It is non-English speakers who speak like that. Because of the government's attempts to push English for political reasons, many people have to work in a language other than their own, and one they may not be comfortable in.
Lazar   Monday, May 16, 2005, 06:40 GMT
<<1) I mentioned on another thread that it is possible that, over time, a new language may develop out of South African English. I think that list shows that the first steps had been taken.>>

That's interesting - you could end up having two unique European-derived languages.

I wonder why it is that European languages remained largely the same in the Americas, Australia, and New Zealand, but that in South Africa, Dutch (and in the future possibly English) evolved into a distinct language.
andre in south africa   Monday, May 16, 2005, 08:05 GMT
Interesting quistion, Lazar. It could be because so many languages influenced Dutch here, but then Dutch was the dominant language (apart from English as course) so one would have expected Dutch to survive. Also, for almost a century the two languages (Afrikaans and Dutch) existed next to each other, before Dutch finally disappeared.

BTW I believe if a new langauge does evolve out of SA English (which will still take many years), SA English will not disappear as Dutch has. Afrikaans became the language of the very same people who spoke Dutch, whereas the "new English" will be spoken be one group, while another group will continue to speak "original English".
andre in south africa   Monday, May 16, 2005, 13:00 GMT
Sander   Monday, May 16, 2005, 15:15 GMT
=>for almost a century the two languages (Afrikaans and Dutch) existed next to each other, before Dutch finally disappeared.<=

"Finally"???
"Finally"   Monday, May 16, 2005, 16:05 GMT
I think it was finally meaning "in the end". Not "at last", Sander. :)
Sander   Monday, May 16, 2005, 16:32 GMT
Thank you "Finally" ,but I knew that it ment that I just wanted Andre crawl with his 'apology'... ;)
Sander   Monday, May 16, 2005, 16:33 GMT
to crawl
andre in south africa   Monday, May 16, 2005, 16:40 GMT
Yeh and it didn't disappear a moment too soon... ;)

Ah well my humblest apologies...
Sander   Monday, May 16, 2005, 16:42 GMT
Hmmm, Ill accept them this time,but don't ever do it again.
andre in south africa   Monday, May 16, 2005, 16:48 GMT
I promise :/
Sander   Monday, May 16, 2005, 16:51 GMT
Im not sure if I can trust you anymore... /:/
andre in south africa   Monday, May 16, 2005, 16:55 GMT
hehe will just have to earn it again ;)