Romance Languages

Tiffany   Thursday, April 28, 2005, 21:56 GMT
It would seem Kess is more comparing Continental Portuguese to Spoken Brazilian Portuguese, not saying Portuguese is closest to Latin.
Jessy Dawn   Friday, April 29, 2005, 21:25 GMT
I would like to know if Brazilian Portuguese is a Romance language or it is some kind of Portuguese-based creole. When I watch Brazilian movies and soap operas, all I hear is some sub-standard speech, never the things I encounter in grammar books and textbooks. Could someone explain it to me? Thanks.
David   Friday, April 29, 2005, 23:37 GMT
It's just an archaic portuguese with some "creole" influences
Ved   Saturday, April 30, 2005, 00:00 GMT
Romanian Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 11:22 GMT

"Greg! 40% it’s almost half! No! that is absurd…French loan words only 6% .But I wish we had more French loan words than Slavic :-) "

You'd be better off wishing for a French standard of living, human rights record and French levels of absence of corruption, not to mention a culture and cuisine that were more in synch with their French counterparts.

:-P
Ed   Saturday, April 30, 2005, 01:22 GMT
<<You'd be better off wishing for a French standard of living, human rights record and French levels of absence of corruption, not to mention a culture and cuisine that were more in synch with their French counterparts. >>

Please, let him live the illusion of being a Roman.
Juan Pablo   Saturday, April 30, 2005, 01:32 GMT
Yes Ved ! Bucharest is called " the little Paris" or the Paris of the eastern Europe but Romania is country that culturally doesn't belong to eastern Europe! Finally escaped from the Slavic soviet communist hell !
Meijs   Saturday, April 30, 2005, 01:47 GMT
I'd say Budapest is ''the little Paris'', not Bucharest.
Budapest has glamor, Bucharest is poor!
Juan Pablo   Saturday, April 30, 2005, 02:06 GMT
What "illusion of being a Roman" ? They are a romanic nation and speak a romance language not slavic!

Are you electrocuted ?

I am Spanish and I have no illusions of being a "Roman". Besides my girlfriend is romanian...And for your general culture, the word "Roman" means Romanian (as in citizen) in Romanian language and as well a Roman (from Rome).

Meijs: I have been to Budapest and the only "glamor" I found was some fake old looking buildings escaped from the ww2.

Bucharest has by far more history and culture,the second largest building in the world, the triumph arch, village museum, and an intelligible language... So give me a break
Ved   Saturday, April 30, 2005, 02:21 GMT
Juan Pablo Saturday, April 30, 2005, 01:32 GMT

"Yes Ved ! Bucharest is called " the little Paris" or the Paris of the eastern Europe but Romania is country that culturally doesn't belong to eastern Europe! Finally escaped from the Slavic soviet communist hell !"

Oh, puh-leez.
greg   Saturday, April 30, 2005, 09:46 GMT
Juan Pablo : "the word "Roman" means Romanian (as in citizen) in Romanian language and as well a Roman (from Rome)".

In French <roman> means 'Romance' (not 'romance' which would be Fr <romance>) or 'novel'. Fr <Romano> is a (derogatory) shortened form for Fr <Romanichel> = 'gypsy'. Fr <romain> is 'Roman' (adj) while Fr <Romain> is 'Roman' (noun). Fr <roumain> is 'Ro(u)manian' (adj) while Fr <Roumain> is 'Ro(u)manian' (noun).
nico   Saturday, April 30, 2005, 09:55 GMT
Jessy Dawn,

When you speak about "Portuguese-based creole",

- portuguses is a romance language

- Creole is mixed between spanish, portuguese and french

- spanish & french are romance languages

= so i guess we can say creole ia s romance language
Rui   Saturday, April 30, 2005, 11:09 GMT
To Nico & Jessy Dawn: as far as I know, creole is like a "linguistic equation", always mixing two or more languages. So, your're refering to a particular case of creole that mixes the languages you mentioned; but there's a world of other possible matches. Like creole of Cape Vert, mixing current Portuguese, arcaic Portuguese and a few continental african languages.
Aplied to Brazil, I wouldn't label the current spoken language as creole-type, since is basicaly Portuguese, though with idiossincracities. Some say it is reaching a status of language per se, other say it's simply Portuguese spoken in a veeeeeeery relaxed way. I'm not a linguist so I would make any "statement" on it.
Rui   Saturday, April 30, 2005, 11:12 GMT
If you want to now more, check this out : <http://www.antimoon.com/forum/posts/6805.htm&gt;
Ed   Saturday, April 30, 2005, 13:41 GMT
<<Yes Ved ! Bucharest is called " the little Paris" or the Paris of the eastern Europe but Romania is country that culturally doesn't belong to eastern Europe! Finally escaped from the Slavic soviet communist hell ! >>

Apparently you've never been to Romania...
nico   Saturday, April 30, 2005, 15:25 GMT
La dracu !