Rolling R in German

Fredrik from Norway   Monday, April 25, 2005, 20:16 GMT
I still think some people from Bavaria use an uvular -r and that is mostly bourgeois people with a good education.
Huchu   Monday, April 25, 2005, 21:22 GMT
I still think some people from Bavaria use an uvular -r and that is mostly bourgeois people with a good education.

This is true. But the the level of education is not the only or the most important determinant. I mean, one also has to consider whether those people come originally from Bavaria or not, and if yes, how many generations have been living in Bavaria. A genuine Bavarian ("ein echter Bayer") will use the alveolar R, regardless of whether he has a university degree or not, or whether he speaks standard German or not.
Another factor contributing to some Bavarians using uvular R is the silent politics in Germany to eliminate regional differences in language. This is also true in Berlin, where you seldom hear the typical dialect of the region (Berlinerisch), since most of the people living there comes from other parts of Germany or from abroad. Consequently, genuine Berliners ("echte Berliner") struggle to speak standard German, since their dialect is associated with low level of education by non-Berliners (due to that silent politics to eliminate regional differences).
Fredrik from Norway   Monday, April 25, 2005, 21:31 GMT
The Wittelsbach family...which R do they use?
Fredrik from Norway   Monday, April 25, 2005, 21:35 GMT
Huchu.
Nice to see that we partially agree: I too meant that there is a very big pressure in Germany to speak perfect (boring...) Hochdeutsch, so I think some people in Munich and even Vienna use the uvular R, in order to sound most Hochdeutsch, most educated, most familiar with the classical über-regional Bildungsideal.
Huchu   Monday, April 25, 2005, 21:40 GMT
"The Wittelsbach family...which R do they use?"
Sorry, but that would be advanced bayrisch LOL!
greg   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 08:22 GMT
Thanx Huchu and Mxsmanic.
Bob   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 08:47 GMT
So is the uvular R considered the only standard pronunciation of R in German? Or are both uvular and alveolar, standard.
Kess   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 10:07 GMT
Nope, both R's (alveolar and uvular) are considered ''correct'' according to Duden grammar books. You know all about the Hochgerman:

it has

1. Northern pronunciation
(based on Hannover speech of Hochdeutsch, which is impeccable)
2. Southern synthax

it was a nice compromise

Northern Germany speaks perfect Hochdeutsch (Hannover, Hamburg) because Hochdeutsch was ''imposed'' language there...Plattendeusch (close to Dutsch) use to be spoken some centuries ago, but nowadays only very old people use it, young people speak perfect Hochdeutsch.

In southern Germany, the local dialects are very slose to Hochdeutsch, so you get a mix of both...Not many people in southern Germany speak perfect Hochdeutsch...

So, if you want to learn/improve your German, you'd better go to Hannover or Hamburg, they adore standard German there and local dialects are never used (Hannover dialect died some 20 years ago since no one used it anymore)
Claudio   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 16:15 GMT
Thank God for dialects, I've heard that the Hannover accent is extremely boring...
Fredrik from Norway   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 17:49 GMT
Translated from Høyem and Zickfeldt: Deutsche Lautlehre = German Phonetics:
The R sounds
The foreigner must know that on his way through the German lands he may meet all variants of the r. In the German-speaking part of Europe he will meet both the uvular and the alveolar r. The uvular r is most common in larger towns and cities, not only in Northern and Middle Germany, both also very much in the South, even in Austria, though only sporadically there. The use of the alveolar r will be more common the smaller and more rural the place is and when much dialect is used. In Southern Germany as well as in Austria and the German-speaking part of Switzerland the alveolar r is dominant also in cities, in the North (the alveolar r) mostly in small towns and rural areas.
Huchu   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 20:01 GMT
Fredrik from Norway: "I too meant that there is a very big pressure in Germany to speak perfect (boring...) Hochdeutsch"
I would say there is more pressure to replace Hochdeutsch by "Denglisch" or "Deutlisch" (horrendous mixture of Hochdeutsch and English). The pressure is present everywhere, one doesn't know exactly where it comes from, but it is there. English words are being superfluously used or introduced with a different meaning, and not only in the advertising (where it is so pervading) but also in important departments of the state. Some examples: at the Instute for Employment (Arbeitsamt) a "Job Center" has been recently created. Some other departments of the "Arbeitsamt" were also baptized in English or Denglisch. People do not understand anything, they only know they are unemployed. In some universities they are beginning to use the word ChangeManagement (written like this!!!) in official documents and letters, and nobody knows what it means. One supposes it should be the translation of "Personalstelle" (Personnel Department) into Denglisch. As you see, correct knowledge of the English and German languages is not a guarantee that you will understand Denglisch. And the list is endless. The only useful word those people have invented is "Handy", which means mobile telephone, since otherwise you would have to say "Rundfunk-Telefon" (nobody uses it). Apropos telephone, the bills from some companies are practically unintelligible for most people from east Germany (they used to learn Russian at school) and even for older citizens from West Germany, since those invoices are often written in Denglisch. English is not only destroying the Japanese language (one topic in this forum) but it is also devouring the German tongue. And there is nothing you can do here against the death of German without being misunderstood or hunted like a witch in the middle ages (I think you know what I mean). To the death of German will also contribute the orthography reform recently introduced (or imposed, to be more accurate) by the government. That reform is an insult to intelligent citizens and is rejected by the majority of the population. Some important newspapers, e.g. Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, have decided to return to the old orthography system. So please, do not waste your time learning German until people here decide what they are going to do with Hochdeutsch. English and Denglisch are cool LOL!. And sorry for being so off topic.
Vytenis   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 20:13 GMT
Don't worry, Huchu, these things happen all the time. For example, 100 years or so ago the German language had similar influence on Czech, Hungarian and some other languages as English is having on German today... English language was also very much affected by French at some point in history, but it survived...
Fredrik from Norway   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 20:17 GMT
We Norwegians just laugh at Denglish. Although lots of English words are creeping into Norwegian I think we are better at integrating them.

The spelling reform is good! It makes German even more logical! You Germans have lived too much protected from spelling reforms. In Norway we have one each 10th year. Now we are spelling champagne "sjampanje". Chauffeur has been "sjåfør" since ages.................................
Vytenis   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 20:18 GMT
Now, returning to my original topic, as far as I understood I can use both: uvular and roling Rs and I will be still considered as speaking "standard German"? Great news, because I thought that in order to speak "standard" I had to nevessarily pronounce uvular R, which was rather difficult for me. Anyway, most R's I do not have to pronounce, as someone has already mentioned (in the end of words, or sometimes in the middle of words too)
Fredrik from Norway   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 20:21 GMT
You should call it Jobzentrum in stead of Job Center...

You should have called a mobile phone a "Telchen" = Telefonchen...