wogginess?

Kirk   Monday, May 02, 2005, 10:11 GMT
I'm aware of the word "honky" but never hear it here.
Frances   Monday, May 02, 2005, 10:59 GMT
Joel - you are right about "honky" but I have never heard of it being used in the context that you say; but according to one definition on Urban Dictionary, it matches what you say:

"1. honky
a derogatory term for a Caucasian person.
there are three main theories for the origin of the word:
1. the word originated from the practice of white males wishing to hire African-American prostitutes in the 1920's, and going to the appropriate part of town while honking their car horns to attract the whores. Some versions state that the reason for this was that the white men were too afraid to actually stop in those neighborhoods, so the honking would bring the hookers to them. Others say that since few African-Americans could afford cars back in that time, the honking signaled a higher-paying white client and would quickly gain the prostitutes attention.
2. the term comes from the word "honky-tonk", which was used as early as 1875 in reference to wild saloons in the Old West. Patrons of such disreputable establishments were referred to as "honkies", not intended as a racial slur but still a disparaging term.
3. "honkie" is a variation of "hunky" and "bohunk", derogatory terms for Hungarian, Bohemian, and Polish immigrant factory workers and hard laborers in the early 1900's. African-Americans began to use the word in reference to all whites regardless of specific nation of origin.
also spelled "honkie"."

I have heard the word used in this context though (Asians):

"9. honky
(chiefly used by asian Australians)

(noun) a person from Hong Kong, or of Hong Kongese descent.

(adj) Honk Kongese

Not derogatory; sometimes friendly, but usually purely descriptive.

Probably an abbreviation for Hong Kongese."

AND Also (Look Kirk!)

"18. Honky
Born In born in Hong Kong but has basically grown up as a westerner. Someone who didn't come off the boat FOB or is an ABC an American/Australian born Chinese."
Damian   Monday, May 02, 2005, 11:06 GMT
I've been called a snowflake....when I was in London. Maybe that's why I don't like very hot weather.
Frances   Monday, May 02, 2005, 11:11 GMT
Damian - probably the closest defintion I could find matching you and Snowflake is this (on UrbanDictionary):

"4. snowflake
a deragatory term for a white person."

Other racist terms that I now remember (used in Australia):
Gook - far east Asian
Abo - Australian indigenous
Frances   Monday, May 02, 2005, 11:14 GMT
More precisely, Gook is Korean and Nip is Japanese but they have been corrupted and have been used in a derogatory sense against all far east Asians.
Joel   Monday, May 02, 2005, 14:54 GMT
Another word which started as an insult for NZ europeans is Pakeha which means white pig which was from an old dialect of Maori (which is the one of the languages of Native New Zealanders). We recently found out the real meaning of this word due to research.

Sadly the dialect had died out and for years we NZ Europeans have embraced the name 'Pakeha' even in Government documents such as our Birth Certificates. I, myself was declared under my ethnically as 'Pakeha'.

After WW2 our frist non-British European immigrants had flooded our shores and as an attempt to hold to a separate identity from the 'new comers' we had adopted the word 'Pakeha'.

As we were still recovering from the scars of war the 'new comers' were often mistaken for Germans (most victims were of Dutch and Danish blood) and were attacked.

As I mention in the frist paragraph there were research to find out the meaning of 'Pakeha' and what do you know it means 'white pig'. LOL well we have embraced it for so long and we will continue to be 'Pakeha'.
Adam   Monday, May 02, 2005, 15:35 GMT
I've never known "wog" to mean Southern Europeans.

I've only known it to mean Black people.
Adam   Monday, May 02, 2005, 15:37 GMT
"I've been called a snowflake....when I was in London. Maybe that's why I don't like very hot weather. "

And I bet you've been called a Jock, too.

But I've noticed that the Scots, Welsh and Irish have no derogatory term for the English.
Damian   Monday, May 02, 2005, 16:03 GMT
Of course I've been called Jock ADAM....dinnae be so sully! OK I'm a Jock snowflake.....a Scotsman who is white...that's practically all of us, but now because of immigration we have proud Scots of non white races...race is not an issue, certainly so if they integrate. Chinese or Pakistani Scots eg have local accents just the same as the rest of us. Many have never been out of Scotland in their lives.

What's in a name anyway. Scots are proud to be called Jocks. Our famous Black Watch Regiment are Jocks through and through...you can only join if you are Scottish. Reading the website, during the two world wars they were nicknamed Demons in Skirts because of their ferocious reputation.....ferocious in battle only, when ferocity was essential. Outside of that they are pussycats...well, you know what I mean. I could quote from Henry V and the call for action before Agincourt....same thing.

**But I've noticed that the Scots, Welsh and Irish have no derogatory term for the English**

Hee hee.....you want to bet on that one ADAM? Wouldn't you like to know!
Kirk   Monday, May 02, 2005, 20:10 GMT
Frances, thanks for the definitions...yeah, we sometimes use "ABC" here, too.
Frances   Monday, May 02, 2005, 21:44 GMT
Joel - *lol*, especially on birth certificate

Kirk - I have never heard of ABCs until I found that definition
Deborah   Monday, May 02, 2005, 23:52 GMT
Just confirming that FOB is used in the San Francisco area.

I think "honky," referring to whites, was probably more common in the '60s and '70s.
Joel   Tuesday, May 03, 2005, 02:25 GMT
LOL yeah Frances..

I will continue to be a proud Pakeha.
Joel   Tuesday, May 03, 2005, 02:36 GMT
My Case (refering to the pakeha research) is quite similar to how black people embraced the 'n' word (which was used as an insult for blacks) as part of their own.
Frances   Tuesday, May 03, 2005, 03:12 GMT
Joel - same as "wog", it is now worn as a badge of honour here.