Stereotyping of the northern accents in the UK

Sander   Thursday, May 12, 2005, 20:22 GMT
I think those germans should be ashamed,after the war all the could say was "wir haben es nicht gewust" and now they tread you like dirt again.If a German would do that to me .....grrr.
Damian   Thursday, May 12, 2005, 21:49 GMT
**Do you mind if I use it in my thesis?**

Feel free.
kasia   Friday, May 13, 2005, 07:37 GMT
Sander,
I don't want any credit for what happened during the war - I wasn't even there and I'd be the last person to mention the war to any German. I just wish they could wait with judging me until they get to know me.
That's just for the record.
How did we get here anyway?!:) Do you think the "successful English learners" will erase us?

Did any of you watch The Robinsons last night I wonder.

Damian - thanks.
Adam   Friday, May 13, 2005, 09:40 GMT
Yeah. I'll support whatever it is you are doing.
?   Friday, May 13, 2005, 09:59 GMT
what do you mean Adam ?
Damian   Friday, May 13, 2005, 10:20 GMT
ADAM...you say you're from the North of England.....which part? Yorkist or Lancastrian? Geordie? SCOUSER?????! Cumbrian? Northumbrian? Mancunian? Coronation Street? The last two are one and the same thing are they not?
kasia   Friday, May 13, 2005, 10:32 GMT
yes, Adam, tell us where you are from. And whether you still live where your accent is spoken.

Damian,
which is the accent you don't like the sound of?
Damian   Friday, May 13, 2005, 13:07 GMT
Adam's
Damian (the REAL one)   Friday, May 13, 2005, 14:46 GMT
KASIA:

The above post was made by an impostor! Someone in here is playing silly buggers again....!

I did NOT say that about ADAM's accent because I've no idea what his accent is like as he hasn't told us where he comes from in Northern England. He hasn't answered my perfectly civil question.
Damian   Friday, May 13, 2005, 14:52 GMT
KASAI: ooops I'm as bad as ADAM..I haven't answered yours!

The accent I don't like the sound of? If it's fairly mild it's not so bad....if really thick it's yuk! S*o*s* - as spoken in L*v*r*o*l.

Sorry...just me....dinnae like it.
kasia   Friday, May 13, 2005, 14:52 GMT
the price of popularity, Damian:)

a log-in would be useful here...
Ben   Friday, May 13, 2005, 15:03 GMT
It's always funny as an outsider encountering other cultures' dialect prejudices. Like the French's dislike of Quebecois, or the Spanish hatred of the Puerto Rican accent.

England is no different. Many British people seem absolutely convinced that there is some kind of inherent loutishness to Brummie speech, and that Scouse is "whiney." To an American, neither of those things are apparent. Heck, I haven't the slightlest clue what the South English beef with the Black Country accent is--sounds quite pretty to me, with a slight Celtic tinge.
kasia   Friday, May 13, 2005, 15:05 GMT
ah, I see
lots of negative stereotypes there
That's one of the more inetresting accents, though not one i'm used to hearing.
I 'll have to try and contact somebody from L'pool uni to ask about any theses on the perception of Scouse

i got the impression that many people think the ppl of Liverpool are thieves. Apparently one of the least successful accent in job interviews.
Isn't it all quite mad.

I wonder if it is the sound of scouse people don't like? Or maybe the associations.
kasia   Friday, May 13, 2005, 15:09 GMT
Ben -
Black Country accents seem quite masculine (in women) to me
lots of strong women around here!
andre in usa   Friday, May 13, 2005, 21:42 GMT
Maybe the reason Adam doesn't want to reveal is specific location is that he's from Liverpool.