Eine sprachliche Frage an alle Deutschen

Simba   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 19:29 GMT
I'm gonna be a lion king ...

Hakuna matata ! And never forget that :
" caaaaaaan you feeel the looove, toniiiiight ? " !!!
Sander   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 19:51 GMT
Kut leeuw ;)
Lazar   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 19:58 GMT
<<Lazar, I use in English always non-rhotacism (that's of course an influence of my mother tongue) and I don't care if the next word begins with vowel, can I do it or rather not?>>

Non-rhotic dialects of English usually pronounce the final R if it is followed by a vowel.

For example, in non-rhotic British English, "car" is usually pronounced /kA/, but if you say "the car is", then it would be /D@ kAr Iz/, with an R sound.
Jo   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 20:45 GMT
«Tell me if (or whether?) I do mistakes. »

Hans Ulrich: Why 'do'?

Ich mache Fehler : I make mistakes
Hans-Ulrich   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 20:56 GMT
Lazar, I mean, I said "car" always /ka:r/ , with a vowel-r at the end of "car" like American English. I said "my car can" /mai ka:r k@n/), but I speak the rest of sounds like British. I think I mix both American and British pronouncing... Can I do it? I'm not sure if I explain correctly.
Hans-Ulrich   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 20:58 GMT
"Ich mache Fehler : I make mistakes"

OK, thanks
Lazar   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 21:05 GMT
<<Lazar, I mean, I said "car" always /ka:r/ , with a vowel-r at the end of "car" like American English.>>

So you meant that you use rhotacism, not non-rhotacism.

<<I said "my car can" /mai ka:r k@n/), but I speak the rest of sounds like British. I think I mix both American and British pronouncing... Can I do it?>>

Yes, you can use British pronunciations and be rhotic. You may develop what's called a "Mid-Atlantic accent", which is a mix of British and American. Cary Grant and Christopher Plummer are examples of people with Mid-Atlantic accents.
Hans-Ulrich   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 22:08 GMT
"So you meant that you use rhotacism, not non-rhotacism."

Sorry Lazar, I didn't understand you, it was a little misunderstandig. I should write "my car can" /mai ka:6 k@n/ with /6/

I don't drop the final R, but I turn it always into a vowel sound /6/ like German "hier" /hi:6/

"Yes, you can use British pronunciations and be rhotic. You may develop what's called a "Mid-Atlantic accent", which is a mix of British and American. Cary Grant and Christopher Plummer are examples of people with Mid-Atlantic accents."

Great!
Evil nerd   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 22:59 GMT
Sander Thursday, May 26, 2005, 18:18 GMT
>>Well my english is rather good (if I might say so) but you might help me with my German,and of course,since you are a lonely nationality (like me) you 'represent Germany' in a way. <<

You really think it is, don't you?
greg   Friday, May 27, 2005, 06:19 GMT
Being myself neither native Anglophone nor native Germanophone, I tend to differentiate final <r> following a long vowel like [i:] according to respective phonological systems : RP for English (hence <here> is [hi:@]) and what I perceive as "Meißen German" (hence <hier> is [hi:6]).

This is the reason why I'm unable to say [kA:6] for <car> (just [kA:]) and [fa:t@] for <Vater> (just [fa:t6]).

I tend not to rhoticise post-vocalic, final <r> in either language.
Fredrik from Norway   Friday, May 27, 2005, 14:05 GMT
"she is cold" can have two meanings, literal and non-literal, just as:
she is hot!!!

Isn't there something similar in German, where "warm" or "heiss" (both = hot) can also have a sexual meaning?
Sander   Friday, May 27, 2005, 14:31 GMT
Evil Nerd,may I ask what have you ever contributed to this forum except cynical remarks?
Another Dutchman   Friday, May 27, 2005, 17:51 GMT
His contribution is him alerting you that your English is not as good as you think it is. ( It's terrible:)
Hans-Ulrich   Friday, May 27, 2005, 18:31 GMT
Fredrik,

"Isn't there something similar in German, where "warm" or "heiss" (both = hot) can also have a sexual meaning?"

"sie ist heiß/geil" = she is sexual excited, she is fiery (Nominativ "sie")
"ihr ist heiß" = she feels heat, sie is hot (Dativ "ihr")

warm (GE, too "lau") = warm (EN), not very hot
heiß (GE) = hot or very hot (EN)

You can also use "warm" in the meaning of "gay" (only informal):
"er ist warm" = "he is homosexual".
Sander   Friday, May 27, 2005, 20:03 GMT
Hahahaha ,sorry but we have "Geil" as well,same meaning (horny) but I always laugh my pant off when a German says it. Hahahahaha

Super Geil Klasse ..... Whahahahahahahahahahah! :-)