Eine sprachliche Frage an alle Deutschen

Travis   Friday, May 27, 2005, 20:05 GMT
That's because in modern informal German, it's also taken on the meaning "cool" (not as in temperature, of course) as well, even though to older German-speakers, it may sound weird, due to only really meaning "horny" to them.
Sander   Friday, May 27, 2005, 20:19 GMT
Haha,yeah but you should hear the sound Travis... its its 'unique'LOL!
Huchu   Friday, May 27, 2005, 23:17 GMT
An Hans-Ulrich: "Wenn wir Deutschen Kälte empfinden, sagen wir "es ist mir kalt", aber die Englischsprachigen sagen "I'm cold"."

Nobody in Germany normally says „es ist mir kalt“. Although the sentence may be grammatically correct, people say and write “mir ist kalt”, without using the impersonal pronoun “es”. In this case you don’t need the pronoun “es”, because the dative pronoun “mir” ist sufficient to express a (subjective) sensation (e.g. coldness). People also say: “mir ist warm” (I'm warm), „mir ist schwindlig“ (I’m dizzy), „mir ist schlecht“ (I feel bad, I feel unwell), etc. Sorry Hans-Ulrich, but your sentence “es ist mir kalt” sounds strange. One would perhaps use it in very, very special cases.
In this respect the pronoun “es” is not used either, when asking somebody if he/she is cold. People in Germany never say “ist es dir kalt?”. Germans say: “ist dir kalt”? (En: are you cold?). The smooth language flow in the brain of a normal german will be interrupted if you ask him/her:“ist es dir kalt”?. He/she would also have to think twice if you tell him/her “es ist mir kalt”.

P.S.: The topic "mir ist kalt and I'm cold" has been discussed several times in other online forums.
Hans   Saturday, May 28, 2005, 00:35 GMT
Sander,

"geil" has in German many meanings, it means to "terrific", "very good"
Hans   Saturday, May 28, 2005, 00:56 GMT
Huchu,

"Nobody in Germany normally says „es ist mir kalt“. Although the sentence may be grammatically correct, people say and write “mir ist kalt”, without using the impersonal pronoun “es”."

Es ist egal, wie man das sagt, beide sind richtig. "Mir ist kalt" mag häufiger sein, da stimme ich Dir zu, aber wenn Du meine Nachrichten durchgelesen hast - daran bezweifle ich -, wirst Du feststellen, ich sagte "es ist mir kalt" und "mir ist kalt", beide sind natürlich richtig.

"In this case you don’t need the pronoun “es”, because the dative pronoun “mir” ist sufficient to express a (subjective) sensation (e.g. coldness).

Was soll der Scheiß? Kumpel, willst Du mir Deutsch beibringen? Das habe ich nicht nötig, ich bin gebürtiger Deutscher.

"People also say: “mir ist warm” (I'm warm), „mir ist schwindlig“ (I’m dizzy), „mir ist schlecht“ (I feel bad, I feel unwell), etc. Sorry Hans-Ulrich, but your sentence “es ist mir kalt” sounds strange. One would perhaps use it in very, very special cases."

Du vergißt dabei, daß ich solche Erklärung an Deutschlerner richtete, daher habe ich beide Formen erwähnt.

"In this respect the pronoun “es” is not used either, when asking somebody if he/she is cold. People in Germany never say “ist es dir kalt?”. Germans say: “ist dir kalt”? (En: are you cold?)."

Und wo bitte sehr habe ich so was wie "ist es dir kalt" gesagt? Natürlich benutzt man hier das Pronomen "es" nur, wenn kein Subjekt vorhanden ist.

"smooth language flow in the brain of a normal german will be interrupted if you ask him/her:“ist es dir kalt”?. He/she would also have to think twice if you tell him/her “es ist mir kalt”."

Klugscheißer, kein Deutscher würde "ist es dir kalt" fragen, sondern "ist Dir kalt", denn da braucht man keine Leere füllen. Es wird Dir mit diesem Scheiß gelingen, die Deutschlerner zu verwirren ...
O   Saturday, May 28, 2005, 04:55 GMT
Its nice to see Germans on Antimoon again. I was getting worried because there seems to be Dutch people here but no one east of the Dutch border.
Sander   Saturday, May 28, 2005, 07:22 GMT
Dutch people? Im the only Dutchman on the forum...the majority of this forum is:

-American
-British
-French
-Spanish
-Portuguese
-Brazillian
-Belgian
-Bulgarian

The rest are pretty rare...
Sander   Saturday, May 28, 2005, 07:24 GMT
=>I was getting worried because there seems to be Dutch people here but no one east of the Dutch border<=

And why does that worry you?
Sander   Saturday, May 28, 2005, 07:46 GMT
=>Was soll der Scheiß? Kumpel, willst Du mir Deutsch beibringen? Das habe ich nicht nötig, ich bin gebürtiger Deutscher.
<=

He Hans...some people here are linguists and others master a foreighn language perfectly,And being a German doesnt mean your the expert on "your" language... does it
Bill H.   Saturday, May 28, 2005, 16:44 GMT
Hallo Hans! Ich finde es recht schoen,dass Sie englisch lernen. Entschuldigung wenn mein Deutsch nicht richtig auf dieser email steht. Leider ist es vor vielen Jahren seitdem ich Deutsch aufgeschrieben oder gesprochen habe* seufz*. "Es ist mir kalt" auf english bedeutet das man kalt ist(z.B. wegen des Wetters). "I am cold",oder "It`s cold", It`s cold out." (Es ist draussen kalt) auf englisch. Wir Amerikaner machen sehr oft den Sprachfehler, das wort "mir" davon auszulegen. Es ist mir kalt(oder heiss) und Ich bin kalt(oder heiss) haben ja ganz verschiedene Bedeutungen,nicht wahr? :) Sagt man jemals auf deutsch: " Ich finde es kalt." anstatt " Es ist mir kalt."zu sagen?

Hello Hans! I think it is great that you are learning english. Please excuse me if my german is not correct in my email. Unfortunately,it has been many years since I have written or spoken german *sigh*. "I am cold" in english means that a person is cold(for example because of the whether).

"I am cold.", or "It`s cold.", "It`s cold out."(It is cold outside.) in english. The americans often make the mistake of leaving off the word "mir" . "Es ist mir kalt(oder heiss)" und "Ich bin kalt(oder heiss)" really have very different meanings,don`t they? :) Does one ever say this in german: "I find it cold." instead of "I am cold(mir)."?

Allerbestens!
Evil nerd   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 03:53 GMT
"Sander Friday, May 27, 2005, 14:31 GMT
Evil Nerd,may I ask what have you ever contributed to this forum except cynical remarks? "

Yes, but you must ask me in good English first. Can you spot a mistake in your sentence above?
O   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 05:22 GMT
Sander I hoped you didn't get the wrong way. I am just surprised there is no usual Germans as here on Antimoon.

And silly (well stupid I should say) to group the Vlaams and Afrikaners as Dutch. I didn't mean too.
O   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 05:25 GMT
and forgive me for the bad spellings and grammar :)
greg   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 09:37 GMT
Sander : you forgot our friends from down under.
Sander   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 10:06 GMT
=>you forgot our friends from down under.<=

Our friends from down under?