British English is treated badly

Lazar   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 23:11 GMT
Damian:

I've read that Estuary only turns T's into glottal stops at the ends of words. So bit would be bi', but glottal would stay glottal (I think).
Deborah   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 23:13 GMT
<< I onfused ypou! >>

A Scottish expression, no doubt...
Damian   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 23:14 GMT
There is an expression "Pull yourself up by your own bootstraps!" meaning "Get a grip on yourself" or "pull yourself together" or just simply "get a grip!" Also "sort yourself out" or again simply "Sort it!"

All meaning get yourself straightened out (nothing to do with sexual orientation btw) and back on track.
Damian   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 23:19 GMT
LOL DEBORAH I promise you it was a stupid typo and not an ancient Caledonian curse.....I was typing one handed and a crunchie bar in the other and that's a genuine excuse!
Damian   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 23:25 GMT
LAZAR...nah! (Estuary AND Cockney for "no btw) Estuary seems to obliterate all Ts regardless of their position in words. Last time I chatted with a gen Estuary-speak guy (you'd never guess but he REALLY did come from Milton Keynes...sorry..Miwl'un Keynes....a hotbed of Estuary speak in the South of England) he told me he was going to see some Searchligh' Ta'oo" (which translates as Searchlight Tattoo). The Keynes bit btw is pronounced "Keens".
Lazar   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 23:29 GMT
Well it was just what I read. :-(
Damian   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 23:35 GMT
KIRK:

I've never got round to seeing "Bend it like Beckham". I really like that guy btw....he's cool and I think it's unfair that the British press seem to enjoy criticising his (apparent) lack of articulate verbal skills. To his credit he has made a great effort to learn Spanish during his time in Madrid AND integrate into the Spanish lifestyle. That's more than can be said for Victoria.

Both Parminder Nagra and Keira Knightley are actresses of course and assumed the accents for the film. Much as Gwyneth Paltrow assumed a nigh on perfect RP English accent in her UK based films.

If you ever saw the film "Love Actually" Keira spoke quite differently...her accent was very RP, something in the style of the late Princess Diana..and her demeanour and style were very similar, too. Maybe she modelled herself on Diana for the film.
Deborah   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 23:36 GMT
Damian,

<< I promise you it was a stupid typo and not an ancient Caledonian curse..... >>

Maybe not, but you should know that ypou is now definitely onfused! Maybe it's a Cornwallian(?) curse.
Lazar   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 23:38 GMT
<<Cornwallian(?)>>

Cornish
Deborah   Monday, May 30, 2005, 00:15 GMT
(blushing) Oops...I knew that!
Tim   Monday, May 30, 2005, 01:32 GMT
"LAZAR...nah! (Estuary AND Cockney for "no btw) Estuary seems to obliterate all Ts regardless of their position in words. Last time I chatted with a gen Estuary-speak guy (you'd never guess but he REALLY did come from Milton Keynes...sorry..Miwl'un Keynes....a hotbed of Estuary speak in the South of England) he told me he was going to see some Searchligh' Ta'oo"

Not every position. At least the first T is pronounced in "Ta'oo". It would be weird not to hear a first-position T not pronounced. :)

"Nah" is pretty universal.
Ben   Monday, May 30, 2005, 04:19 GMT
Estuary is, like GenAm, a pretty undefined dialect. Although many linguists have tried to pin down it's phonology, I think the only apt description is any dialect that shares features with both Cockney and RP. To me, this can mean anything from a Londoner who makes sure to pronounce the "th" in "mother" correctly, to an Oxford student who occasionally glottal stops his t's.
dd   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 07:02 GMT
British English is treated badly. It's good, I don't like British English. It's snobbish
Damian   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 07:17 GMT
<< I don't like British English. It's snobbish >>>

Here we go again!!!! tunnel vision yet again..........WHICH version of British English do you think is snobbish? Scouse? LOL I can hear them LOL at the Kop end already! Brummie? Who'd have thought Jasper Carrott was a snob!!! Broad Glaswegian? Tell them all on Sauchiehall Street that they're nae but cockapenties! The West Country burrrrrrrrrr? The Geordie hinny? The sing-song Welsh? That'll cause a rumpus at the Eisteddfod! A li'l bi' of Estuary? Norfolk? ...snobocracy broader than the Broads themselves? Or gritty Yorkshire Dalespeak...as uppity as Ilkley Moor itself....with or withaht ba'tat! Aye....all snobs together!

Maybe dd needs to broaden horizons a wee bit and not just tune in to old... very old..... b&w films or Royal speeches! :-)

This is now the 21st century ffs....things have moved on a wee bit.
Jack   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 08:47 GMT
Bravo Damian I couldn't of done better. You knocked common sense into his mind. :)