British English is treated badly

Adam   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 14:50 GMT
" It's snobbish"

Good Lord! What makes you say such a horrific thing, old boy?! That's an outageous comment, old chap, and I would deem it necessary that you apologise at once, by God.
Damian   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 14:57 GMT
ADAM: Do you wear spats and sport a foot wide cultivated moustache and have kedgeree for breakfast and write irate letters to the Times and will you be in the Royal Enclosure at Ascot next month? :-)
Jack   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 04:09 GMT
LOL Adam thinks he a 'real English Gentleman'
andre in usa   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 07:09 GMT
see, Adam is actually pretty funny
realist   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 11:11 GMT
what is british english anyway? people ignore the fact that there are regional variations. I myself am from the North of England. But unfortunately standard english have put paid to all the Northern regional dialects, as living and used dialects in england! This is the poblem with a country like england, where the mentality is to centralize everything!
I have family in Ireland and there the mentality is very different! Throughout history the Irish have had a natural antipathy towards any form of centralization and standardization of language. Even though there is an official irish standard for the Irish language, the dialects in the 4 provinces are alive and untouched! Can't say the same for many other places!
Also note I ve used "z" for words such as standardisation in British English!
I couldn't give a shit about not using American English! English is English so why don't all the detractors of American English go and hang themselves instead of moaning on and on about fuck all!
Sander   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 14:59 GMT
=>see, Adam is actually pretty funny<=

A pathetic way of funny,but yeah...
Adam   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 17:20 GMT
"ADAM: Do you wear spats and sport a foot wide cultivated moustache and have kedgeree for breakfast and write irate letters to the Times and will you be in the Royal Enclosure at Ascot next month? :-) "

Good God! Are you psychic, Old Chap?
Damian   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 17:48 GMT
Bang on your Lordship....Oh Esteemed Englishness....I've got news for you Your High Worshipfullness.....Ascot is cancelled this year...you'll have to go to York instead, Sire!

No..not psychic...just sick!
Christine...In Florida   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 22:55 GMT
Ok...so the Americans did change the spelling of some words. Is it that big of a deal? Other countries have done it to when they broke off from another country! Also, people are saying we should all spell how the British spell because they invented it. Well they also changed it too. If you want to be that specific...We should all speak Old English.,....or whatever came before Old English.
Travis   Friday, June 03, 2005, 07:25 GMT
The main thing is that I at least feel no attachment whatsoever to how the English may happen to speak/write English, and the idea that they are the "mother country", whatever that's supposed to be, means nothing to me (I most definitely do not consider such to be so). They can speak and write English as they will, but that goes the other way around as well.
Damian   Friday, June 03, 2005, 12:48 GMT
The English Language is equally valid in all it's varied forms of spelling and usage. All Languages change and evolve over time and they are bound to do so differently in all the diverse areas where it is used. Of course the Language started life in England but that was just a matter of circumstance. England does not hold any special proprietory "rights" to the English Language as to how it should be used elsewhere. end of.