Central Europe-What do you know about Poland/Polish

Sander   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 18:45 GMT
Flemish isnt a language...I guesse you mean Dutch..

In that case...

Weet je vast wel wat ik zeg,en dat ik vind dat je je als een eikel gedraagt.
bernard   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 18:49 GMT
What is north-Europe, south Europe, West Europe, East Europe can be very subjective in function of the countries
From a french point of view Poland is considered a north-eastern European country. For us, what we call central Europe are the countries situated in the land, without escape to the sea. Central Europe would be : switzerland, Austria, Hungary, Czek and slovak republic, but no Poland ...
I think the reaction of Pieree is due to the fact that the notions of central Europe are not the same in different countries.

By the way, how is viewed France from your country ? As a south European country, North European country, both or none of them ?
Sander   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 18:51 GMT
Southern European
mjd   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 18:53 GMT
I already speak two languages, Pierre, so I'm "letting you know" right now. I will continue to give you English lessons, though.
Ania   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 18:54 GMT
I believd Flemish is a distinct language- or a very distinctive form of Dutch ,like Afrikans for exampl e
Ania   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 18:59 GMT
Poland is a northern or baltic country, opened to the Baltic sea !!!If you look in the distionary, Poland= central European
Sander   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 19:01 GMT
Ania,

No,Flemish can impossibly be amother/destinct language.Afrikaans however is ,for obvious reasons.
Ania   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 19:05 GMT
why Africaans is but Flemish not?

or is just a conflict -Belgian/Dutch ?

I am just curious
Sander   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 19:10 GMT
No there are clear reason...

Flemish is an accent,they use exactly the same grammer and sytax( word order) its just Dutch but with an accent.Like American and British English,but without the difference in spelling.

Afrikaans it a whole other story,no declensions,totally different Grammer ,and other spelling and pronouncation of words.
Ania   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 19:20 GMT
Flemish = people of Flanders, Flemings; language spoken in Flanders
adj. of Flanders; of the people of Flanders; of the Flemish language.

i don't understand , i am confused and looked in the online dictionary...

is this nonsens ?
Sander   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 19:22 GMT
No,just that 'language' should be 'dialect/accent'
Travis   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 19:55 GMT
Ania, Flemish is just a dialect of Dutch, and is no more different from Dutch Dutch than North American English is from English English, even though *West Flemish* is a separate language from Dutch, and is not particularly crossintelligible with it. Likewise, Afrikaans is quite distinct from Dutch per se, and has both lost almost all of the inflection of Dutch, and has also taken in large quantities of loanwords from other languages which don't exist in Dutch.
Damian   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 20:04 GMT
I wish I knew more about Poland than I do.....my only Polish contacts have been with the cool guys and girls I met at the supermarket checkout...they seem to be a good looking race of people. :-) Speak excellent English as well.

All I know about Poland is about what happened in WW2 History and that they recently joined the EU and that Polish LOOKS a very difficult Language...maybe it looks harder than it is? Of course I know some of the famous names mentioned in this thread....the last great one was our last Pope of course. Reading this thread now I feel I know quite a lot more about Poland and her people. Thanks.
Sander   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 20:10 GMT
=>even though *West Flemish* is a separate language from Dutch, and is not particularly crossintelligible with it.<=

He's lying Ania,like always about west-flemish,West Flemish is a dialect,a very developed dialect,but its not a seperate language.You have to know when you have got to stop Travis.
Fredrik from Norway   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 18:38 GMT
I repeat:
What I find most interesting about Poland is the fact that so much of today's Poland: East Prussia, Pomerania, Silesia etc. was settled by Poles (from provinces in the east that Poland had to cede to the Soviet Union) as recently as after 1945, when the Germans living there were driven away. Is there some kind of settler spirit in those areas? Like in the American Midwest when it was being settled?