latinos

Kirk   Sunday, June 05, 2005, 05:34 GMT
<<British people are desperate to live "in the sun"...(but most of brits living in the sun get skin cancer)Same situation in the Southern U.S and California, having the higher skin cancer rates in the world...

(Celtic-Anglo-saxon Americans are not meant to live in the sun)Lacking the melanin pigment who protects the skin...Unfortunately>>

Living in California but being Northern European ethnically I can attest to that :) Actually, my skin naturally tans to some degree just when I'm out and about in daily life so it's usually not too big of a problem, but if I know I'm gonna be out in the sun for an extended period of time (going to beach definitely requires it if it's in the middle of the day or afternoon) I'll put on sunscreen and I'm fine--I hardly ever get burned.
Elaine   Sunday, June 05, 2005, 05:57 GMT
<<Same situation in the Southern U.S and California, having the higher skin cancer rates in the world...>>

When you weigh the number of skin cancer diagnoses against the total population per country, Australia and New Zealand come out with skin cancer rates 3 or 4 times that of the US. In Norway and Sweden, countries that don't nearly get as much sun as Australia and New Zealand, the rates have tripled. So the moral of the story: if you've got fair skin, stay out of the sun! Or at least put on strong sunscreen.

(What this has to do with languages, I have no idea)
Brennus   Sunday, June 05, 2005, 06:00 GMT
(Celtic-Anglo-saxon Americans are not meant to live in the sun)Lacking the melanin pigment who protects the skin...Unfortunately

This is true. In fact, if you are a fair-haired or fair-skinned person (like myself) you don't even have to live in Southern California to be at above average risk for skin cancer. The sun is still a little too bright even in Seattle where I live. We seem to have been made more for a Scandinavian type climate.
Kirk   Sunday, June 05, 2005, 06:28 GMT
<<moral of the story: if you've got fair skin, stay out of the sun! Or at least put on strong sunscreen.>>

While we're on the topic of sunscreen, I should add that I've known people even with naturally browner or dark skin that can still burn with enough exposure to the sun. My apartmentmate Tyrone (the one who posts here occasionally) and I both work as tour guides for our university (UC San Diego), and one time we were both worked on the same exact 2-hour outside tour, and in the end he had burned and I had not. That wouldn't be remarkable except for the fact that he's half-black, so his skin is naturally a medium brown tone, as compared to my whiter skin. Similarly, another friend of mine who's ethnically half-Indian (subcontinental, not Native American) and half-white has brown skin naturally, but she seems just as susceptible as anyone else--one time while we were outside for awhile she noticed she had a slight sunburn and was almost insulted--"but, I'm brown!"

Guess everyone has to be careful :)
Someone   Sunday, June 05, 2005, 06:42 GMT
It seems that the Mediterranean skinned people can live up-north and be just fine but many fair-skinned people can't live in the sun without paying tribute...

While many dark-skinned people do suffer from sun burning their skin is not so susceptible to cancer …like the pale, less pigmented skin…
Kirk   Sunday, June 05, 2005, 07:07 GMT
<<While many dark-skinned people do suffer from sun burning their skin is not so susceptible to cancer …like the pale, less pigmented skin…>>

I guess that's probably true.
Brennus   Sunday, June 05, 2005, 07:31 GMT
I hear you Someone but actually darker skinned people are at greater risk in colder, cloudier climates for things like rickets, frost-bite and even prostate cancer according to the scientific literature I've read about it over the years. Generally speaking, darker skin colors offer better protection against the sun's UBV rays however, Xeroderma pigmentosum, a rare genetic intolerance to sunlight can be found in all human populations. When I was a child, I had a Black neighbor who had this disorder and she had to stay indoors during the daytime.
Cro Magnon   Sunday, June 05, 2005, 11:40 GMT
I have more natural resistance to the sun than my lighter-skinned mother, but I've probably had the same number of sunburns because I'm more likely to stay in the sun longer. She KNOWS she can't get away with as much exposure, so she's more careful.
Sander   Sunday, June 05, 2005, 11:42 GMT
Yeah,before you know it you've got skin cancer....
The Suntan Man   Sunday, June 05, 2005, 11:46 GMT
I love and worship the Sun. I can stay out all day on a deck chair and almost cook all my meals on my chest and stomach, starting with eggs in the morning.
Nice Guy   Monday, June 06, 2005, 15:26 GMT
Kirk,

I have to agree with your post 100%. But its not only argentina with this out right racist comments its all of South, Central America and the Caribbean. Argentinians claim to be europeans that are living in s. america and literally believe there aren't any blacks and indians who are from argentina. The comments Vincente Fox(President of Mejico) about mexicans taking jobs even african americans don't even want is just an example how blatant and comfortable people are with their racist comments. Funny thing is, Fox doesn't even represent the majority of the indigenous mexicans migrating to the USA and basically are non existent in any affair regarding Mejico(more like second class citizens in their own damn country). Its all of S. America where mestizos discriminate against the indigenous, blacks, and looks up to the more Euro descendants hispanic. To the extent where one believe they speak the best spanish than the other...

The only difference in L. America and N. America is there are laws prohibiting people to express their TRUE sentiments. They know if they would ever come out in public with condescending comments they would be sued or fired where in S. America its like an everyday occurence and normal to degrade someone becuase of their ethnicity.

anyway, Latino is a politically incorrect way of putting a mixed group of people with the same language but with totally different culture and race into one little check box on the applications. Some hispanohablantes even in N. America confused "latino" as their race.. And from west to east coast who you would classify as latino is totally different..

Por ejemplo, on the west coast "latinos" are little indigenous mexicans, salvardorians, guatemalticos while on the east coast you have "latinos" who are majority blacks or mulattos such as puerto ricans, dominicans, cubans, venezuelans, colombians..to make it worse they even classify brazilians as "latinos"...

Its a mess and a Spaniard person comes here and are automatically thrown in the same pot..Just yesterday on Univision (spanish network) they classified Penelope Cruz as a latina along side Salma Hayek... One is from Spain and the other from Mexico..big difference...its like throwing every english speakers in one pot and calling them "Anglos" with one culture one race and same objectives...Que baboso...
Andino   Monday, June 06, 2005, 15:31 GMT
Si chucha no vez que existe la benedict china de mierda
Yo   Monday, June 06, 2005, 15:33 GMT
Mira Yang Huyng Puta zorra primero anda a la escuela a aprender mas y no a culear con el profesor chucha
socio de Yo   Monday, June 06, 2005, 16:15 GMT
cuando alguien aprende y decide hablar en 'es pan yol', comparten la misma comemiera cultura. penelope cruz es una latina puta sucia de iberia. salma hayak de mexico. los latinos compaten cultura romana. los anglo sajones son contra latinos, por que no sirven para nada en eeuu, y los ingleses van a las costas en el mediterraneo para borracheras. los 'anglos' son y crecen en su mierda de mentiras.
bernard   Monday, June 06, 2005, 18:18 GMT
" to make it worse they even classify brazilians as "latinos"... "

could you tell us why brazilian shouldn't be classified as latinos ?

And why you think that penelope cruz isn't a latina, while salma hayek would be ?