the dutch/afrikaans/west flemish link

Damian   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 22:54 GMT
Well, you're the first one I've ever communicated with and that's for sure, even though it's by remote control! The internet really is bizarre...real people out there yet after a while they seem to be like friends you know but never met! Weird...but pleasant if it's all generally friendly. I haven't long been chatting in internet Forums to be honest and this one is really good. The others I visit are journalist and sports related as well as a couple on Scottish matters including politics.
andre in south africa   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 23:04 GMT
>Looking for one, Damian. ;) <

Actually meant I was looking for a link where you could listen to Sarie Marais, not looking for a South African.... We seem to have lots of them here... ;)

>real people out there yet after a while they seem to be like friends you know but never met! Weird...but pleasant if it's all generally friendly.<

True, isn't it?

Speaking of journalism, you are lucky living in a country with some of the best newspapers in the world. And right there in Scotland you have THE SCOTSMAN, one of the greatest newspapers in the world. Being a journalist myself, I do envy you!!
Damian   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 23:23 GMT
I love it Andre and will love it even more once I pass my final exams and get into the thick of things. Actually I'd love to get onto the SCOTSMAN eventually..a great paper and based here in Edinburgh. I will post any links from it I can appropriate to this Forum...anything related to language or dialect in Scotland or anything I consider may be of worthwhile interest.

The "quality" newspapers in the UK...the broadsheets.. are just that..quality. The red-tops..the tabloids.... aka the "popular" press aka the "gutter press" are something else altogether....surely among the worst in the world for crap stories and scurrilous sensationalism. Anything sexual is overhyped. Of the main London based Nationals my fave is the Independent....it's liberal and free thinking as it's very name suggest, and virtually ignores irrelevant Royalty reporting unless it's of real importance and significance.

Actually I'd love to HEAR Sarie Marais, Andre! I'll see what I can find doing a googlie trawlie.
andre in south africa   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 23:27 GMT
if you really want to hear afrikaans, damian, listen to this

www.rsg.co.za

the major afrikaans radio station
andre in south africa   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 23:30 GMT
>Of the main London based Nationals my fave is the Independent....<

Agree with you Damian, that is a magnificant newspaper!!!! Read it every day on my visits to Britain
Damian in Edinburgh   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 23:42 GMT
Come back to the UK asap ANDRE! If you want a guide to my City or this part of Scotland (or the remote misty islands of the the Highlands where we as a family go ..or used to..every year) I'm the guy to hire! My rates are reasonable with generous discounts to friends. Now..from a Scot, that's an offer worth considering if only for rarity value! :-) Only joking! Scottish stinginess is a complete myth put about by Sassenachs!

Guid nicht... off tae ma wee lair!
Damian   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 23:43 GMT
btw..sorry Andre..forgot.......thanks for that link! Cheers!
andre in south africa   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 23:46 GMT
for damian

proper link

http://www.rsg.co.za/
andre in south africa   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 23:47 GMT
click on *luister*
andre in south africa   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 23:50 GMT
>If you want a guide to my City or this part of Scotland (or the remote misty islands of the the Highlands where we as a family go ..or used to..every year) I'm the guy to hire! My rates are reasonable with generous discounts to friends.<

Might take you up on that, Damian! :)

Lekker slaap ;)