how do you say : "hello" in your language ?

zarafa   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 09:21 GMT
Linguist, when I was studying Russian, we were given "zdrastvuy" as a familiar form of "zdrastvuyt'e". I didn't see that in your list; does that mean it's not really used, or not used anymore? I remember hearing young people saying "zdras't'e" to their friends' parents.
zarafa   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 09:23 GMT
As for "hey", "hi" and "hello", I probably use "hey" and "hi" about equally, but I still frequently use "hello". I acquired "hey" when I went to college in North Carolina.
Easterner   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 10:05 GMT
In Hungarian, we commonly use "szervusz" or "szia" (which, as I know, comes from English "see ya", although I'm not completely sure...). The first one is seen as a little dated, and becoming less common nowadays, being mainly used by older persons to greet younger ones. "Helló" (written like this and pronounced with an open "e" and long "o") is also becoming very common among young people up to (or a little above) thirty... Finally, we also have "csö", which is a humorous version of "csaó", coming from "ciao". I don't realy like this last one though, preferring "szia" instead.
Travis   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 10:09 GMT
Easterner, though, if I recall correction, Hungarian <szia> is actually *opposite* in meaning to English <seeya>, it being equivalent to, say, English <hey>, whereas English <seeya> is literally derived from English <I'll see you later>, which is something said when parting ways.
bernard   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 11:14 GMT
" I thought that the litt. translation of "hello" was 'allo' in French "

No, "Hello" is "Salut"
"Allo" is only used when responding at telephone
Only in Quebec some people say "Allo" to say "Hello".

" I say "hey" more common than "hello" and "hi" in English, just as I almost never say "yes," preferring "yeah," which is pretty much the most common word used here. "

It is the same in french; We almost never say "OUI" in informal language but
"OUAIS" (pronouced "wey")
Sander   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 11:19 GMT
And whats the exact difference between Qui and Si in french apart from spelling?

And I thought the litt,translation of Salut was 'greetings'.
Sander   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 11:30 GMT
Qui = Oui
bernard   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 11:33 GMT
" And whats the exact difference between Qui and Si in french apart from spelling? "

You mean "OUI" and "SI" ?
"SI" can have different meanings (if, yes, or musical note "B")

In the meaning of yes, "Si" means "OUI" (yes) but has only to be used to answer to a negative question (ex: You canno't come with me ?)
I you ask a negative question like this one we CANNO't answer "oui" (Yes I can come with you), but we have to say "SI" :
ex : Tu ne viens pas avec moi ? Si, je viens avec toi ! (never : "Oui, je viens avec toi !") Most foreign people confuse and systematically say "oui" - it sounds very wrong and give us the impression that the person didn't understand the question.

" And I thought the litt,translation of Salut was 'greetings'. "

No, "Salut" is the informal way of saying "bonjour (good moorning)", so it means "Hello, Hi, etc.."
Sander   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 11:38 GMT
Tell me, An English soldier 'salutes' his superior.What does a French soldier do?
bernard   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 11:43 GMT
to mean "greetings" you can say "salutations", but never "salut" !!

"Salut" can have other meanings, as a noun : "Un salut" means "a chance of being saved"
Dorota   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 12:24 GMT

In polish;

Cze&#347;&#263; - informal, to friends / the pronunciation isn't easy to explain../

Dzie&#324; dobry - it's formal- Good morning

Pa, pa! / it's very informal bye, bye!/
Dorota   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 12:31 GMT

I see that even the computer doesn't understand polish language and strange polish letters, / how could i forgot about it/ so i will try to simplify it;

Czesc- Hi!/ informal/

Dzien dobry- /formal/ -Good morning
Trisha   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 12:50 GMT
More Irish greetings:

Hello = Dia duit! (singular) Dia daoibh! (plural)

Good morning! = Dia dhuit ar maidin!

Good afternoon! = Tráthnóna maith duit!

Good night! = Oiche mhaith duit!

Good night (on going to bed):

Oiche mhaith agat!

Slán codlata agat!

Codladh sámh!
Trisha   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 12:52 GMT
There should be a fada over Oiche > Oíche
greg   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 13:01 GMT
Sander,

Fr <si> = Ge <doch> (1)