Germanic elements in Italian and French, arabic in Spanish

guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:18 pm GMT
<<There has been much debate over the origin of the word itself but evidence suggests a common origin with the English words "(to) bite" and "(a) bit". English belongs, with German, Dutch, Danish, Swedish and Norwegian to the family of Germanic languages, all of which are decended from a remote common ancestor called 'Proto-Germanic'. >>

Right...
According to this origin, 'pizza' comes from the southernmost (highest) of German dialects, where 'pizzo' (bite of food, morsel) served as variant to the more northerly 'bizzo' ("bit").

Were the Italian word for pizza 'pizzone' instead, I might have an easier go at accepting this origin, though I do not fully rule it out.

An alternate relation points to Gk 'petea' (bran bread) & Gk 'petta' (bread, "pita"), but this seems rather to be borrowed by the Greeks from Italian the word which had an alternate form, 'pitta', so who knows?
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:33 pm GMT
AHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHAHAHH!!!!
It's too funny, go on please until you finish drinking all the drugs.
It must be a powerful thing.
guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:24 pm GMT
<<AHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHAHAHH!!!!
It's too funny, go on please until you finish drinking all the drugs.
It must be a powerful thing. >>

um, Senor Idiot, if this is directed towards me, the
<<RIght...>> of my statement is a sarcastic "Right" as in "Riiiiiiiiight"

Dufus
Amy Whitehouse   Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:28 pm GMT
Pizza derives from piccolo or something like that.
Guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:25 am GMT
X2TheZ Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:18 pm GMT
really marion, a refference for that?

few arabic words in spanish

A (Ababol to Alguaza)
Ababol, poppy
Ababol, poppy

1. ababol: Poppy. In Aragon, Navarre, Albacete and Murcia. From Andalusian Arabic Happapáwr, a fusion of the Arabic word Hab (حب) "seed" and the Latin papāver.
2. abacero: owner of an abacería, small food shop. From Andalusi Arabic SaHb azzád (صاحب الزاد) "owner of the supplies."
3. abadí: descendant/lineage of Mohammed ben Abad, founder of the Taifa Kingdom of Seville in the 11th century AD. From Andalusi Arabic abbadi (عبّادي).
4. abalorio: cheap jewelery or jewelery beads. From Andalusi Arabic al balluri (البلوري) "made of glass."
5. abarraz: stavesacre (Delphinium staphisagria), a medicinal plant. From Andalusi Arabic Hab ar-ras (حب الرأس) "head seeds."

I know a little spanish and can read newspapers, but I do not know one single word of your list - are these Spanish words with Arab roots in daily use?
Guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:31 pm GMT
no, I've never heard those words in my life.
Guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:56 pm GMT
Ababol sounds like "a babor" pronounced by a gypsy or a chinese.
Caspian   Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:24 am GMT
Who said that English has few Germanic Influences? Take a regular English sentence, and guaranteed it will have Germanic words.
The CAT SAT on the MAT
There you are!
Guest   Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:06 pm GMT
Cat comes from latin cattus. There is nothing germanic in that word.
Guest   Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:17 pm GMT
Latin verb “sedere, sessus” meaning “to sit”! LOL
Guest   Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:23 pm GMT
English is a Germanic language and stems from Indo-European like Latin and Greek. So it is normal that for the basic vocab parallels are found. Latin and the Anglo-Saxon are cousins.
guest   Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:37 pm GMT
<<Cat comes from latin cattus. There is nothing germanic in that word. >>

The English word "cat" does not come from Latin "cattus" but from Anglo-Saxon 'catt' which has cognates in other Germanic languages.

'Cattus' and 'catta' first appear in LATE Latin (after 4th century) most likely as a borrowing either from Germanic or another source (Slavic < Gmc, etc)

The original origin of AS 'catt' is obscure, but the native Latin word for "cat" was 'felis'...
Guest   Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:45 pm GMT
<Cat comes from latin cattus. There is nothing germanic in that word.>

the latin word for cat is "felis". "Cat" is germanic.
Guest   Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:56 pm GMT
<Cat comes from latin cattus. There is nothing germanic in that word.>

the latin word for cat is "felis". "Cat" is germanic

That's why it exists the word "feline"
guest   Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:58 pm GMT
<<The CAT SAT on the MAT
>>

The only non-native, non-germanic English word in this sentence is "mat", which comes from Old English 'matte' but is borrowed from Latin matta which borrowed it from a Semetic source, related to Hebrew mittah "bed"

so 'mat' is neiter germanic nor Latinic