Can we detect a homosexual from his accent?

K. T.   Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:13 pm GMT
What a topic! Linguistic gaydar?
Guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:23 pm GMT
I can detect blond women from their accent.
Guest   Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:44 am GMT
''They also tend to sound nasal.''
So, there are many gays in the Great Lakes region.
LOL
furrykef   Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:17 pm GMT
There are plenty of gay people with no accent or other identifying features. I think it occurs mostly as a stereotype... but real "gay" accents certainly do exist. I could be wrong, but I don't think gay men are likely to adopt such an accent unless they want to... usually the more flamboyant types. I'm not aware of the same phenomenon occurring in lesbians... I guess it's a guy thing.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_lisp

- Kef
Damian   Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:16 pm GMT
Here in this area there is a gay Rugby team. Most of the guys are really hunky and, apart from two or three English guys, they all have Scottish accents, mostly local. You'd be really hard pressed to determine if there was any clear difference between their accent/manner of speech with those of the guys in a battalion of the Argyll and Gordon Highlanders, freshly back from a tour of duty in the barren deserts that are Iraq and Afghanistan. But there again, gay guys are by no means unknown among the ranks of our fighting forces, are they?

The stereotype of the limp wristed, lisping, mega camp gay male is a wee bit far feteched, to say th very least!

Recently, I saw a magnificent performance, in London, by Sir Ian McKellen in the title role of King Lear. No way could you tell, from his accent or style of speech) that Sir Ian shares the sexuality of the likes of John Barrowman (so macho in Torchwood!), Peter Tatchell, (who once disrupted a sermon by the Archbishop of Canterbury at the pulpit of Canterbury Cathedral one Christmas Day) or the Honourable Member of Parliament for the Rutland and Melton constituency, down in the rich, verdant pasturelands of Middle England (as true blue a Conservative area as it's possible to get) who recently married his male partner in a Civil ceremony, to the best wishes and high regards from his local Conservative Party officials and constituents. No way does this gentleman sound like Julian Clary........
Guest   Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:52 pm GMT
I wish someone invented a machine to detect gays.
Guest   Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:57 pm GMT
lol yeah cruisin' would be so much easier
Guest   Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:11 pm GMT
<<I wish someone invented a machine to detect gays.>>

There are a thousand reasons why this idea would never work; first and foremost, how would you even define a "gay"? There are so many levels, sublevels, ad. nauseum.
AdrianaLimafan   Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:56 pm GMT
There are many effeminate straight men in every culture (and to many Northern Europeans many Italian straight men seem effeminate), and
there are many straight-looking&acting gay guys too.
So it's flawed.
Guest   Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:00 pm GMT
Howtogetlaid gaydar? LOL
Guest   Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:53 pm GMT
is anderson cooper really gay??????????????
isnt that a rumor?
Skippy   Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:59 am GMT
It's a rumor which he has never publicly denied.
Guest   Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:41 am GMT
so then skippy are you saying he's not really gay?
Skippy   Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:09 am GMT
He's never said either way. I never watch his show so I have no idea, and I would not presume that by watching his show that would make me the authority on his sexuality.
guest   Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:47 pm GMT
Anderson Cooper isn't gay.
Thomas Roberts is