Official languages of the US

Guest   Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:35 am GMT
bob: "ENGLISH needs to be chosen. I am outraged".
So strong emotions.. But why??
It just helps people who have difficulties understanding English, especially it's hard to understand automated and answering maching messages. I remember myself several years ago: already working, already watching TV, reading books and newspapers, I still had been experiencing a big problem listening my own answering machine; sometimes I couldn't understand where the message'd been come from. Once our veterinarian dictated a detailed menu for our seek dog, but we didn't have a clue it was her calling, so we just ignored the whole thing.
And what about old people? Some of them immigrated many years ago but unfortunately are still having similar problems. Let them listen and understand information too. It really doesn't hurt.
Uriel   Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:57 pm GMT
Bob, honey, I used to work for a call center that offered translation services in any language you cared to name -- Spanish, Urdu, Vietnamese ... even Haitian creole. It's called Businesses Ain't Stupid. Why cut yourself out of a major demographic in the name of some lame hang-up about linguistic pride? The only language they really care about is the language of $$$ -- as it should be. Remember that it was President Calvin Coolidge who famously said, "The business of America is business."
Kirk   Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:08 am GMT
I know there must be people like Bob out there but "Bob" could very well just be flamebaiting, as is so common on this site. I'd ignore it.