Universities around the World

Erik   Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:52 pm GMT
I would like to know which languages are really studied everywhere.

For example, if we know which languages are really studied in the Universities of Alaska, Argentina, Norway, South Africa, Japan and Australia, we would know which languages are really important.

For instance, Hindi is a language very spoken, but it is not studied out of India or Pakistan. So, Hindi is not a World language. It is a regional language very spoken.

If we know which languages are studied everywhere, we will know which are the real World languages.
Guest   Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:59 pm GMT
I think that English is the most studied language. Spanish and French are the next.

I do not know which is 4th.
Guest   Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:13 pm GMT
Every university has Sinology and Indology.
Guest   Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:16 am GMT
The most universal of all are French and English. All others fluctuate with region.
K. T.   Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:32 am GMT
In the United States most universities have French and Spanish if they offer foreign languages, then it's anyone's guess what others will be offered. I would say German is a likely third choice for major, then there may be courses in Italian, Russian, Japanese and or/a "hot" language may be offered. Universities with good foreign language programs and linguistics will have many more choices.
K. T.   Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:39 am GMT
The University of Alaska at Fairbanks offers French, German, Japanese, Russian, and Spanish.
Guest   Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:03 am GMT
Universidad de Santiago de Chile : English, Spanish

University de São Paulo - German, Spanish, French, English, Italian, Arabic, Armenian, Russian, Japanese, Hebrew, Korean, Chinese

Universidad de Montevideo: English, Chinese, Spanish, Portuguese

Universidad de Cuba: el sitio de mierda no funciona
Guest   Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:33 am GMT
Arabic and Chinese are currently very hot in American universities.
gist   Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:35 am GMT
Arabic and Chinese girls are currently very hot in American universities.
Guest   Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:59 am GMT
Yeah who wouldn't feel hot wearing all those burquas. How do they survive in the summer?
Guest   Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:59 am GMT
<<How do they survive in the summer? >>

I suspect they use special fabric that's opaque, but still allows for good ventilation.
J.C.   Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:14 pm GMT
Rio de Janeiro Federal University: German, English, Japanese, Russian, Hebrew, Arabic, Spanish, French, Italian, Latin and Greek (Classical).
http://www.letras.ufrj.br/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=62&Itemid=74
J.C.   Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:28 pm GMT
Osaka University of Foreign Languages:Chinese, Korean,
Mongolian,Indonesian,Filipino,Thai,Vietnamese, Burmese,Hindi, Urdu
Arabic,Persian,Turkish,Swahili,Russian,Hungarian,Danish,Swedish,German,English,French, Italian,Spanish,Portuguese. Wow, I gotta be a student again!! :)
http://www.osaka-gaidai.ac.jp/e-index.html
Xie   Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:00 pm GMT
In Hong Kong, besides the "top three" with the most resources for many subjects, other universities may also teach Japanese and French. In the "top three", we have a bunch of European languages + Japanese + Korean. The University of Hong Kong offers some more - Swedish, Arabic, Thai... but unsurprisingly very few people learn those. I've also heard that the Chinese University offers Latin.

Well, I haven't seen other Chinese languages and classical Chinese, though.
Xie   Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:28 pm GMT
In China, though, depending on regions, some other languages might be offered. I think the hottest choices are taught almost "nationwide" as long as the universities do offer Arts subjects. You might find more Russian programs in the north/northeast... and maybe SE Asian languages on the southern flank.

A few Beijing universities offer MANY languages ranging from Slavic, North Germanic, Central European, African to West Asian languages. But well, this is very natural since my country does trade with every country - Farsi is also taught now lol.