Is it correct to call oneself a "US American"?

Guest   Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:24 am GMT
I thought that people who refer to themselves as such were making a cultural reference to Miss South Carolina's embarrassing speech during the beauty pageant. Is it not so?
Guest   Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:27 am GMT
Apparently, the term "American" means anyone from the Americas. To clarify things, United Statians could be called "statians", US Americans, etc.
K. T.   Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:37 am GMT
Not this again. We don't call ourselves "Statians".
Guest   Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:49 am GMT
We call ourselves "United Statians," for only when united do we stand.
Guest   Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:57 am GMT
I call myself USian.
Skippy   Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:00 am GMT
People from the United States are "Americans."

Stop fighting it. That's what people from the United States are called, and that's how we refer to ourselves.

For the record, it was Miss TEEN South Carolina.

I have never heard anyone refer to themselves specifically as a "US American" unless dealing with one of those people who think that, for one reason or another, people from the US should be called something other than what they've called themselves since the 18th century (1765 according to Etymonline.com).
Cahota   Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:14 am GMT
LOL "Statians". O how glad I am we aren't called that.

Americans is just fine by me.
Miss Florida   Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:21 am GMT
I use Usans.
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:58 am GMT
<<Is it correct to call oneself a "US American"?>>

No it is not correct.
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:02 am GMT
''US American, United Statesan, Usonian", ect...are all neologisms created by angry foreigners who want to tell Americans what to call ourselves.

Nobody entertains that foolishness.
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:05 am GMT
<<Apparently, the term "American" means anyone from the Americas.>>

No it doesn't. That usage is archaic.
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:38 am GMT
I was born in America(s) therefore I'm an American, people from the United States are also Americans but more specifically United Statians (or simply Statians) most languages have a word of United Statian except English...
K. T.   Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:43 am GMT
We have a right to call ourselves what we want. I don't go to other countries and tell them what name is right for them.
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:49 am GMT
But is "US American" gramatically correct?
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:50 am GMT
<<I was born in America(s) therefore I'm an American>>

No. In the English language, an American is (only) the adjective for a person from the United States.

If you want to state your continent of origin, you are either North-American, or South-American.