English in Europe

PhotoGram   Mon May 05, 2008 11:23 pm GMT
Hi,
Does anybody know which European country (Aside from British Isles) has the biggest number of English speakers or whose population is most knowledgeable about English?

I'm sure it has to be either the Netherlands or a Scandinavian country.
According to Wikipedia, which is by no means definitive:

Sweden = 89%
Netherlands = 87%
Denmark = 86%

No information about Denmark or Iceland but I'm sure they're up there as well.
Cyprus and Malta might have the most speakers but that's because they have been under British "control" at some point in the past.

Anyways, what's the verdict?
Guest   Mon May 05, 2008 11:58 pm GMT
I think there's no verdict. But you must be close to what reality is. They say people in the Scandinavian countries + the Netherlands are very knowledgeable about English.

> No information about Denmark or Iceland...

Isn't Denmark = 86%?
PhotoGram   Tue May 06, 2008 12:10 am GMT
Oh sorry, I meant Norway.
Earle   Tue May 06, 2008 2:29 am GMT
I wouldn't expect more than a few percentage points in difference between any of the Scandinavian countries. Norway being a bit more rural, perhaps it would be slightly behind, but only slightly...
meez   Tue May 06, 2008 8:54 am GMT
That's one of those questions one can't answer just like this. What level of English? Most Scandinavians speak English, though most of them know only the basics of the language (what they've learned in school) which is, for instance, nowhere near enough for a decent discussion. But if you sum up the English skills of the whole population of a country, then it would probably be one of the Scandinavian countries
TomJimJack   Tue May 06, 2008 8:58 am GMT
I think, it's the Netherlands. At least, even hobos in Rotterdam speak quite accurate English
Adam   Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:41 pm GMT
English is the official language of Malta.
Skippy   Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:46 pm GMT
How many in Malta actually speak English though?
Guest   Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:52 pm GMT
I pronounced CENTER as ['sen@r] without T, that is, to a Dutch guy, and he didn't understand, oh well...Maybe they understand the more bookish usage, but aren't too familiar with colloquial US English.
Guest   Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:11 pm GMT
"Maybe they understand the more bookish usage"
They learn their English at school not in a redneck suburbs, what do you think?
Barmy   Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:13 pm GMT
There are too many Guests. It looks like you're conversing with yourself...
Guest   Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:18 pm GMT
You can distinguish different guests by their styles.
Barmy   Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:22 pm GMT
*sigh* I figured you would say something like that. :) It's just unfortunate that I have to work my brain that hard. I'll just assume that you're the one I seem to be conversing with the most.
Guest   Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:28 pm GMT
It's not about personality, it's about ideas.
Barmy   Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm GMT
Point taken. :)